Thursday, December 8, 2022

January 3 and 5, 1943

The year 1943 started out quietly with Johnnie settled in at Camp Howze. He often talked about money in his letters to Lucile. He sent money when he could, but he had to pay for his toiletries and cigarettes. The soldiers borrowed money from each other, so he had to pay them back as well as send money to Lucile. He also wanted to make sure he had a constant stream of letters coming in at roll call so asked her to remind friends and family to write him. His first letter of 1943 was dated January 3, 1943 from Camp Howze.

My Dear Beloved Darling,

I received yours and Mom’s letters last night but didn’t have time to answer them till this morning and also the cigarettes. I will write Mildred and thank her for them as soon as I write this for you. Darling, I am glad to hear that you are well and all right, because if anything shall happen to you, I wouldn’t care what happens to me. I wouldn’t care if they sent me across and right on the front line there and I mean that too, because I don’t want to live then. Darling it might be the first of Feb. before you get any money, but you will draw a hell of a lot then, if you don’t get all that coming to you let me know. How is old Bill getting along? Did he say write him and put my address in there and tell him to write me. Darling what is the matter with Dot and Drex, they haven’t forgot how to write I hope. If they have, tell them to put exsel [sic]. I will understand what they are writing, Ha Ha. Have Earl and Geral received the letters I wrote them? If so, tell them to answer them and tell Mildred if she received a letter from me not to laught if I spell her last name wrong. Ha Ha. Well Darling, keep writing because I am still way ahead of you on sending letters. So, answer right back. I will always be the same to you.

Love, Johnnie x x x x x x x

P.S. You still love me? What did you say Gal?

P.S. I will send you all some pictures pretty soon.


Partial view of January 3, 1943 letter (click to enlarge)

The discussion of finances continued in Johnnie’s January 5, 1943 letter to Lucile. He also mentioned a foot injury in this letter.

My Dear Baby,

I received two letters from you yesterday but haven’t had time to write till now. I guess you have received that money order for $20.00. I wanted you to keep it and buy you something for yourself. And pay your Daddy when you get yours. See if it is alright with him to draw $73.00 but I had a big laundry bill and I owe about ten dollars to a fellow here in camp. I have about thirty dollars now. If you need any more, let me know. I hurt my foot the other day and it is swollen so much I can hardly get my shoes on. I guess it will be OK in a couple of days. Well, I guess I will close for tonight but being tomorrow is Saturday I will write you two or three more. 

So, lots lots of love, Johnnie


Johnnie’s father-in-law, Sam “Doc” Stacks
 

Partial view of January 5, 1943 letter

In a second letter written from Camp Howze, Texas the night of January 5, 1943, Johnnie scolded Lucile for writing such short letters. He wanted to hear more from her. But on the other hand, he was worried about her worrying about him and tried to sooth her nerves. He even introduced a new catch phrase—check that.

My Dear Beloved Darling, 

I received your nice little letter. The only thing I didn’t like about it was that it wasn’t long enough. Darling, what’s the matter? Can’t you write a letter a little bit longer or are you worried about me so bad that you can’t think of what to write? Darling, don’t worry about me because I will take care of myself. Let me do the worrying for both of us. Anyhow, the company command said he didn’t think we would ever go across because he said the way the Japs and the German were losing now the war would be over sometime this year. I believe he is right too. Honey don’t worry about us owing money to your Daddy and on the watch, I believe when you draw your money, you could pay him back twice and still have a pretty good bit left. Say babe, you still love me? Check that. Hey, tell Earl and Geral to write some more. I still like to hear from them. I wrote Grandma last night. Also wrote a letter to you and Mary. So, answer them as fast as they come where I will know you got them. Check that, Ha Ha. Well Darling, I guess that answers the letter I got from you for tonight. 

Lots of Love to you always, Johnnie

Thanks for getting me the shoe polisher. I really need it. Love, Johnnie

You will always be next to my heart.

P.S. In your next letter, let me know how many letters you got from me. Love 

Doodles around the eagle stamped on the stationery of Johnnie's January 5, 1943 letter to Lucile

No comments:

Post a Comment