Thursday, September 21, 2023

March 16 and 18, 1944

Four days passed before Johnnie wrote to Lucile again. On March 16, 1944, he sent a V-mail questioning who addressed her recent letter to him.

Hello Darling,

I hope this finds you well, as I am OK. Honey, I received a letter from you a couple of days ago and I know you didn’t address it. Whoever did, had our name spelled wrong. They had it spelled Marriston. From now on, what about you taking time to address your letters to me, Ha Ha. Have you ever received the money I sent you? How are all the folks? Well, I hope. Well Darling, I will close for this time. Hoping to hear from you soon. Keep writing.

Lots lots love, Johnnie

Johnnie has asked about a ring several times and in his March 16, 1944 letter to Lucile, we finally learn that he is talking about a wedding ring. 

My Dear Darling Wife,

Just a few lines hoping this finds you well and getting along OK. As for myself, I am OK, except missing you alot and thinking about you all the time. Say Darling, have you ever sent me that wedding band yet? Sure hope it fits me. That reminds me, honey, the first of next month is your birthday. I haven’t forgot and I can’t send you nothing from over here as there is nothing to send. But I will send you some money for you to get yourself something. Honey, I want you to send me the paper once in a while. I would like to read what’s going on in Atlanta once in a while. Especially the ball games, Ha Ha. O’yeah Darling, did Frances ever get my letter I wrote her? Or Cecil or Ginnie Maude? I hope they answer it. Sure would like to hear from them. What about Mickey? I thought he would drop me a line by now. I wrote a letter to the gang that works up at the lumber company. Have they ever received it yet? Honey, I received a birthday card from Dot last week and I wrote her and Drex a couple of days before I received the card. Tell Dot I said thanks alots and I thought it was swell. Well Darling, I will close for this time. 

Lots lots love always, Johnnie

Johnnie’s sister-in-law, Dot Stacks

Johnnie shows concern for Lucile in his March 18, 1944 V-mail. She has been experiencing pains of some sort.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am thinking of you and hope this finds you well. Darling, please, if you have those pains every month like you say, go see a doctor. It really makes me feel bad to hear that you are sick like that. Honey, I received all the Easter greeting cards that your family sent. They were all very nice. Will close for this time. 

May God bless you and lots lots love, Johnnie

John wrote Lucile’s parents a V-mail on March 18, 1944 to share his appreciation for all the Easter greetings he received.

Hello Folks,

Received the Easter greeting card and was very glad to get it. I could send you something but as it is I can’t. I can say though I wish you both a good Easter and I hope to be with you both the next one. It really made me feel good to get all the Easter greeting cards from all the family. I am going to try and write them all and tell them how much I appreciate hearing from them all. Well Doc, it won’t be long till the ball season is opening again. I hope Atlanta comes out on top. 

Lots lots love to you both, Johnnie

The regiment departed Camp St. Denis du Sig in Algeria via convoy on March 23, 1944, arriving in Oran, Algeria later that day. After spending the night in Oran, they departed there on March 24, 1944 via the USS Florence Nightingale, “a Maritime Commission type C3-M cargo ship”, and the USS Lyon, “a type C3 ship of the United States Navy,” both according to Wikipedia. It is not known which ship Johnnie was on. 

USS Florence Nightingale (AP-70) (public domain)


 USS Lyon (AP-71) (public domain) 

No comments:

Post a Comment