Thursday, September 14, 2023

March 7, 10, and 12, 1944

Johnnie sounded impatient when he wrote Lucile a V-mail on March 7, 1944.

My Dearest Darling Baby,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and hope this finds you the same. Darling, you said that I would have to ask you in the letter to send me the ring, that you couldn’t send it, not unless I wrote and told you to. Honey, I have wrote you at least six letters asking you to send it. What do I have to do, come over there and get it in person? Tell those guys I said they better get on the ball and let you send that ring to me. It’s funny as the devil the rest of the fellows are getting packages and I can’t. Will close for this time.

Lots lots love, Johnnie 

His mood had changed by the time he wrote a March 10, 1944 V-mail to Lucile. It seems he enjoyed some family photos she had recently sent to him.

My Dearest Darling,

I received the picture of you and Earl and his girls and also little Nell. They sure are good of you all, especially the ones you are in. You still got what it takes, if you get what I mean, Ha Ha. Little old Earl really is looking good too. You know he is almost as good looking as me, Ha Ha. You know Nell sure looks like she has gained some weight. Has she? Well Darling, I guess I will close for this time. O’yeah, tell Earl I think he is doing alright.

Lots lots love, Johnnie 

Earl Stacks

Johnnie wrote a long letter the night of March 10, 1944 where he talked about getting letters from his father and his grandma.

My Dearest Darling,

I just received four letters from you and boy did it make me feel good. I hope this finds you well. As for myself, I am OK. Darling, you asked me in one of your letters if you sent me a watch would I think it would reach here OK. I believe if you get me a shock proof watch it would. Of course, it would have to be wrapped up good. Also, if you find one with a good reasonable price, go ahead and get it and send it to me. Honey, I have sent you about forty dollars in the last two months. Use it any way you want too for yourself. I will send you some every month. Darling, I received a letter from Daddy yesterday. He said he has sent me a box with candy, razor blades, cakes, and some cigarettes in it. Pretty nice, don’t you think? I haven’t even written him yet. I am going to drop him a line as soon as I finish this to you. Honey, you said that Mrs. Sewell was putting more on where you work. If she does put you on night shift, I want you to quit and I mean it too. I never have liked you working up there anyway. If you do quit, don’t start back at that first place you were working either. That’s worse. I hope you do as I say and I know you will. I believe every word you write and I want you to do the same for me. I hope we understand each other by now. Well, I guess that’s about all I have to say about that. How are Doc and Ma getting along? Do you know whether they ever received an air mail letter from me or not? I guess they have by now. Honey, the last letter I got from grandma she was telling me about what a good wife I had. I wrote back and told her I knew what a good wife I had and that there was none better and I tell you one thing, that’s the truth if I never told the truth before. Then she got to talking about what a lucky girl you were to get a guy like me. Well Darling, I can’t say anything on that because of one thing that happened since we’ve been married. But I know one thing, if there was a man that cared and loved a women as much as I Love You, I have never heard about it. Well I will close for now leaving that in your mind.

With lots lots love, Johnnie 

Johnnie’s paternal grandma, Mattie Powell Marston

Johnnie wrote a short V-mail on March 12, 1944 where he mentions a photo of Lucile someone painted.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am thinking of you and hoping that this finds you well. I received the little photo of you. But I don’t think it looked much like you. You are much better looking than that. Whoever painted the picture didn’t do such a good job of it either. Do you think so? Say honey, have you ever received any of the money I sent you yet? Let me know. How are all the folks? Well, I hope. Tell them all hello for me. Will close for this time.

Lots lots love, Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment