Thursday, September 7, 2023

February 25, March 4 and 6, 1944

Lucile must be very busy at home. On February 25, 1944, Johnnie wrote a V-mail to Lucile and complains that he still has not received a letter from her.

Hello Darling,

Just a few lines hoping this finds you well, as I am OK. Honey, it has been a week and a half since I heard from you. I was receiving mail from you pretty regular, but darn it, I don’t know what’s the matter now. I am sure it isn’t your fault because I know you will write me every chance you can. I sure hope to hear from you tomorrow. How is my mail coming to you? I have been writing you every chance I get. Well, I will close. Will try to write you tomorrow. 

Lots love, Johnnie

Now Johnnie is the busy one. When he sat down to write Lucile a V-mail on March 4, 1944, it had been seven days since he wrote his last letter to her.

My Dearest Darling,

Received a letter and birthday card from you today. The card sure was nice. Thanks alot. You never have said whether you received that money I sent. I sent you some more this month. Honey, I hope your back is lots better by now. If it keeps giving you trouble, go to a doctor and don’t wait too long about it either. Well Darling, I guess I will close for this time. Tell all the folks I said hello. 

Lots lots love to you, Johnnie 


Not much was going on when Johnnie wrote Lucile on March 6, 1944. He had recently been scolded by his father for not writing. He also asked about his first cousin, Arnold Pair.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am thinking of you and hoping this finds you well. I received a letter from Louise and Dad a couple of days ago. They really got on me for not writing. I am going to try to drop them a few lines as soon as I finish this to you. You never have said whether you have received that money I sent you. I guess you have got it by now. I also received a letter from Grandma Marston. I have got to drop her a line too. I hope your hair suits you when you have it fixed this time. Be sure and send me a picture of you right away. O yeah, Dad said that Arnold was back in the States. Did he come by the house? Well darling, I guess I will close for this time. 

 Lots lots love to you, Johnnie



Johnnie’s grandparents, John and Mattie (Powell) Marston
  

Arnold Pair

Nell remembered Johnnie’s birthday with a card, something that surely made him happy. He sent a V-mail to her on March 6, 1944 to let her know what it meant to him.

My Dearest Sister-in-Law,

I received the nice birthday card and I wish there was some way to show you how much I appreciate you thinking of me on my birthday. Maybe when I get back to the States, I can slip you a kiss, Ha Ha. Be sure and don’t let your old man hear of it, or Luke either one, because I will catch the devil then, Ha Ha. No kidding Nell, thanks alots again and the next letter you write Bob tell him I said hello and send me his address.

Lots lots love, Johnnie


Robert and Nell

Johnnie had a busy day on March 6, 1944. His also wrote a V-mail to Lucile’s parents to thank them for his birthday card.

Hello Folks,

Received the birthday card and sure was proud of it. Thanks a lot. Well, how does this letter find you young people by now? In good health and getting along fine I hope. I am glad to hear you got the car back. Does it ride any better? Tell Doc I said to keep it in good running condition because we will have to have it to go see our girls in it, Ha Ha. How are all the kids? Well, I hope. Tell them all hello for me. Well, I guess this is all for this time.

Lots lots love, Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment