Thursday, August 31, 2023

February 21, 22, 23, and 24, 1944

Johnnie sent a V-mail to Lucile on February 21, 1944, worried about her because she has apparently been sick. 

My Dearest Darling,

I received one of your letters yesterday you wrote the first of this month telling me about your sickness. Honey, I wish you would go to the doctor and have a check up on yourself. Will you do that? Yes, I remember the last time you had those pains. That was one time I was scared to death and believe me that one time I would have gone through anything than to know what you went through. Honey, please take care of yourself and try not to worry too much about me.

Lots lots lots love, Johnnie

He sent another V-mail on February 22, 1944, hoping to receive pictures she’s supposed to send him.

Hello Darling,

Just a few lines letting you know I am thinking of you and wondering just what you are doing this moment. Darling, I have never received the pictures, yet you said you were going to send and it has been about a month ago since you wrote and said you was sending them. I hope I get them one day this week. Has Nell ever come back yet? Tell her to drop me a line. How are all the folks? Well, I hope. Tell them all is well for me. Well honey, it is getting pretty late, so I will close for this time. May God Bless You.

Lots lots love, Johnnie

Nell, Jennie (Drummond) Stacks (Cecil's wife), and Lucile 

Johnnie sent a short V-mail to Lucile on February 23, 1944, his birthday, something he did not mention when he wrote to her.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and hoping this finds you feeling much better than the last time I heard from you. Honey, did you go to the doctor? Let me know in your next letter. I haven’t felt well since you wrote and told me about your sickness. Darling, please take care of yourself and one more thing, please watch out and be careful where you are working. Those mechanics are dangerous.

Lots lots love, Johnnie

A day without a letter from home makes for an unhappy soldier. Johnnie was doing his best to encourage Lucile to write more in his February 24, 1944 letter.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines hoping this finds you well, as it leaves me OK as far as health is concerned. Well Darling, just a few more days and the month of February will be gone. And just yesterday I had another birthday and you know yours is just over a month from now. Sure wish I had something to send you, to show you I haven’t forgot. Darling, you know I wouldn’t forget you if I was back in the States. When I do come back, that will be one great day for me. I hope it won’t be so long from now. Say honey, did Nell go back with Robert? I guess she’ll be back home again by the time you get this. O yeah, I wrote Cecil and Ginnie Maude the other day. Also, Dot and Drex. Don’t think to yourself if he can write them, he can write me more? Because Darling, I wrote you two letters that day, one a V mail and one Air Mail. I try to write you everyday I can. I hardly ever go over two days without not writing you. I hope you are doing the same. We just had mail call and I didn’t receive any. I haven’t heard from you in a good while now. For a while I was getting a couple of letters a week from you. I guess it is held up somewhere, the reason I am not hearing from you lately. If I have a way, I am going to send you some more money this month. It isn’t much good over here. Have you heard from Kate lately, or seen her? Tell her to drop me a line. Would like to hear from her and the kids. How is Doc and Ma? Did they ever get my letter? How are all the kids? Is Mickey still stepping out with his girl friend? Has little Gearl ever found one that will go with him, Ha Ha? Don’t tell him I said that. Well Darling, I guess I better close for this time. Hoping to hear from you tomorrow and all my love to all and Lots Lots Love to You. 

Johnnie 

Kate and friends

No comments:

Post a Comment