Thursday, August 3, 2023

January 16, 28, 30, and undated, 1944

The regiment arrived at Camp St. Denis du Sig on the northern coast of Algeria, Africa on Sunday January 16, 1944 and began intensive mountain warfare training. Johnnie found time at noon that day to write a letter to Lucile. He missed her and the rest of the family.

My Dearest Darling,

Well, I finally got time to write you again. I hope this finds you well. As for myself I am OK. Only I miss you a hell of alots and the good old U.S.A. These Arab people sure are hard to get used too, and they are always wanting something or either sale you something. Say, just because you don’t hear from me much now, as you used to, I don’t want you to slack off writing. Write to me as often as you did in the States when I was there. O yeah, send me a couple of books of airmail stamps as soon as you get this letter. How are all the folks at home? Give them my love. Darling I hope you are well and for my sake take care of yourself. And please don’t worry about me. Is Nell still staying with you? Are you both still working? Has Robert ever come home yet? How is Earl and his gal getting along? OK, I hope. I just went to mail call and received the Christmas card and five letters from you. It sure did make me feel good. Well Darling, as it is getting pretty late, I will close. Hoping to hear from you soon. Lots lots love.

Always, Johnnie

P.S. Tell all the folks to write me and let me know how they are getting along. Love Johnnie

Johnnie only had a few minutes to write Lucile on January 28, 1944, but he wanted her to know he was thinking about and missing her.

Hello Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and hoping this finds you the same. Darling, is everything going OK back at home with you? I hope so, I really miss you. I miss you more than ever when I think about the swell times we had when we were together. It really gets a guy blue. Say did you and your Mother receive those pillow slips I sent? If so, I hope you both like them. Say just before I left, I received a New Years card from Demp and his wife. Is he back in the States or do you know? Well Darling, I will have to cut this letter short for this time but will write more next time. God Bless You and all the folks. 

Lots lots love, Johnnie


Johnnie and Demp

Another month has come and gone with Johnnie being away from his beloved Lucile. On January 30, 1944 he had time to write a longer letter than he had lately. He ended it by hinting at a gift idea for his upcoming birthday.

My Dearest Darling,

Well, here it is just one more day in the month of good old January. I believe this is about the longest month I have ever been through. I guess it is because I don’t hear from you as much as I used to while I was in the States. I received one of your letters yesterday. Boy it really feels good to receive a letter from home now. Gee honey, I hope this finds you OK. As long as I know you are alright and well, that’s all I care about. You said in this letter I just received that the picture of you, Dot, and I was good. I sure would like to see it and also the one I had made at the studio while I was home. I bet that one looked like the devil, Ha Ha. It must be bad if little Carol is making fun of it all the time, Ha Ha. Me and her never could get along so well, while I was at home anyway, Ha Ha. Sure would like to see her. Hope she don’t look like her Mother when she gets grown, Ha Ha. Don’t tell Dot that, she’ll shoot me when she sees me again. How are Dot and Drextel getting along anyway. I hope OK. Tell them I said hello and for them to quit that darn fighting and fussing. I bet right this minute they are arguing like the devil. I guess they couldn’t get along if they didn’t argue or fuss though. That’s marriage life I guess. You and I don’t know so much about that part of it. O yeah, you say your cousin Evelyn had another kid. Gee, she’s doing alright for herself isn’t she. If you see her, tell her if she keeps that up she will soon have a army all her on, Ha Ha. Tell her I hope she makes it OK. Honey I guess Ma Stack’s and Doc are kindy mad because I haven’t dropped them a line. Well, I should have written them by now, but by the time I finish a letter for you, I have to do something else before I can write again. Tell them I am sorry I haven’t written and I am thinking about them all the time and that I will write to them as soon as possible. Honey you know that postcard picture of you? The one you sent me when I was back in the states. It got tore someway in half. Wish you would send me another one of you right away. I have a small one of you. I wear around my neck, but it’s about faded out. As you know my birthday is next month and that is about the best thing you can send me. Well Darling as I am out of paper as you can see, I will close for this time.

Lots lots lots love, Johnnie

P.S. Tell everybody hello for me and to write.

 

Dorothy (Dot) Stacks, Johnnie, and Lucile

The next letter was undated but appears that Johnnie was already overseas. Unfortunately, his son did not know anything about the ring mentioned in the letter.

My Dearest Wife

Hello Darling receive letter from you yesterday. That makes three I have received from you in the last two weeks. Boy it really makes me feel good to receive mail from you, so regular, being as I am so far from you now. I can’t understand why you haven’t receive any mail from me lately. I have wrote you at least ten or twelve letters in the last four weeks. Maybe when you do get them, you will get three or four at a time. You ask me in this letter if I remember your girlfriend name Dot, back in Texas. Yes, I remember her, glad to hear that you are still hearing from her. Maybe later on we will go back to Texas and visit some of our old friends or a pleasure trip would be nice, wouldn’t it. Oh yeah, remember that ring you give me back in Texas. Well I still have it. You can say one thing, it really been places, Ha Ha. No kidding though. Every time I look at this ring it bring back alots of sweet remember, of the time we had together. I have never taken it off since the day you put it on my finger. It going to stay there till the day I come back then I will let you take it off for luck. Darling don’t keep your mind on what may happen to me, keep your chin up for I am OK and well. O yeah and if my picture ever get into the papers of the boys that serving oversea, send it to me. I like to see it. I am sending you a small photo of me and a friend of my, that we had made when we was back in the States. I am sending it to you and I want you to take all the pictures you have of me and hang them all over you. So though four-F guys back there will take one look at you and run like Hell, Ha ha. Well Darling I have run short of news for this time so I will close. Tell Doc and his big family Hello for me and give them my Love.

God Bless You Darling

Lots Lots Love, Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment