Thursday, August 24, 2023

February 14, 19, and 20, 1944

It was Valentines Day, February 14, 1944 and Johnnie had Lucile on his mind. He sat down at noon and penned a letter to her letting her know what she meant to him.

I hope you can read this okay.

My Dearest Darling,

Well, here it is Valentine’s Day, the fourteenth. I don’t remember but if I am not mistaken, you were with me in Texas the last time. Am I right? If things all go well, I may be with you next Valentine’s Day. Let’s hope for the best that it may be so. Honey, I guess you have received the money I sent you by now. I am going to send you some every month that’s possible. If you need it to get you anything, use it. But you wrote me and said you were going to save the checks you get every month because you said you could live off what you made where you work. I received three letters from you a couple of days ago. One of them you were telling me about you and Drexter and Dot and the rest of the crowds going down to see Irvin. I am glad to hear you are enjoying yourself Lou. That’s what I want you to do, to keep your mind clear of all this. I know you know how to take care of yourself and I know you will. Say, you said in one of your letters that we might have a sister-in-law soon. Tell Mickey I said to go right to it, Ha Ha. One thing, if he does get her, I don’t care if she’s an angel, none of them will compare to you, Lou. I mean that more than I have ever meant anything in my life. Honey, I received the stamps you sent in the letter. Thanks a lot. Honey, all I want you to do is keep things going and I will be around soon. Would give anything if that ring had come on over. I am sure it’s a dandy. Well Darling, I will have to close for this time. So, tell all the folks I said hello. And you Darling, I miss you a hell of alots but I will make up for it when things kind of quieten down.

Lots lots love, Johnnie 


Earl (Mickey) and Elvie Stacks

Before Valentines Day came to an end, Johnnie found time to write a short V-mail to Lucile.

Hello Darling,

Just a few lines wanting to know if you are well. Hope you had a grand Valentines Day. Did you have to work? I have just finished an air mail letter to you. I guess you will receive this first though. Have you been getting mail from me pretty regular, concerning where I am at now? How are all the folks? Well, I hope. Tell Doc and family I said hello. Well, I guess this is all for this time.

So, lots lots lots love, Johnnie 


(click to enlarge)

Compliments to your wife probably go a long way down the road. In his February 19, 1944 letter, Johnnie sent one Lucile’s way. He also mentions that he is eating well and that the food is good.

I miss you Darling

Hello Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know everything is going OK, and I hope you are well and making it alright and also keep the little home up that we had such a grand time while I was at home. You say you are painting the front room over again. I bet it looks nice. You always could keep things so nice looking, no matter what is was. It is just like I have always said. I wouldn’t give a penny for another one like you, but I wouldn’t take a million dollars for you now, Ha Ha. You said in one of your letters that you went to a weiner roast over at Verger house. I am glad you enjoyed yourself, sorry I couldn’t be with you. Maybe not so long now. Things are looking lots better anyway. Don’t you think? Say what about getting me a carton of cigarettes and send them to me once in a while. They are not so plentiful over here. Tell Doc and all the folks I hope they are all well. Give them my love. Have you seen Kate lately? Tell her I would drop her a line but I have lost her address. If you know it, send it to me. I have just finished eating supper. We are getting plenty to eat here and it really good food. You say they are about to start rationing clothes. If so, you better drag you up a stock of them. Well Darling as this is all I can write right now, I will close. Hoping to hear from you soon.

Lots lots love Johnnie

P.S. Take good care of yourself for my sake Darling.

Johnnie’s sister Kate and friend (years earlier)

In Johnnie’s February 20, 1944 letter, he told Lucile about his dreams for a house for the two of them.

Dearest Darling

Just a few lines to let you know I am thinking of you and hope you are well. It seems a long time since I saw that sweet smile of yours, but I want ever forget the way you looked the last night I saw you. You were swell about it all. Lou, I am glad to hear from you, that I am on even terms with you again and I hope I can stay that way. You know what I am talking about I am sure. Well Darling, just three more days and I will be twenty-four years old. Time sure does fly after you get in your twenties, Ha Ha. I haven’t heard from you in a good while now. I am sure it’s not your fault though. I guess they are just holding up the mail somewhere. I am sorry to hear you have lost some weight, but I am sure you will gain it back later on. Lou, I don’t believe there is a night that goes by since I have been over here that I don’t think about you, wondering what you are doing, and hoping and praying that you are all right. I know if Nell goes back with Robert that it is going to be lonely without her. But maybe she won’t stay there too long. Honey, you know that house your Dad built, right below Frances and Woodrow? That is something like I hope to have someday for me and you. And if I get through this and if it is the Lord’s will, I hope to have something like that someday. I have had my mind on it ever since I saw the one he built. Well Darling, I guess I will have to close for this time. So, tell all the folks hello for me and give them my love. Tell Doc and Ma and all the kids I sure miss them, but I hope it won’t be for long and also Darling to you. Love Lots Love

Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment