Thursday, August 10, 2023

February 4, 5, and 7, 1944

Johnnie’s next letter, written at noon on February 4, 1944, was full of questions.

My Dearest Darling,

Well, here it is another day about gone, and I just setting here wondering what you are doing. I have a little time and I am trying to write you a few lines. I received seven letters from you yesterday, dating on to the twentieth of December, on up to this date. I also received a letter from Grandma and your Mother. I am glad you thought about giving Grandma that pillow case. I shall be kicked for not sending her one anyway. You never told me whether you changed jobs or not. Let me know, will you? Has the weather changed any back there? What about Doc, is he still going to the wresting matches? Gee I hope Ma is a lot better. Give her my love. You said something about giving Dad one of my pictures. Are you talking about the ones I had made when I was home this last time? You never did tell me whether Robert came on a furlough home or not and what about little Nell? Tell her to drop me a line or two once in a while. Would like to have a picture of you, Nell, and Dot taken together and also a picture of Doc and Ma together. Tell the boys they could drop me a line or two once in a while. Sure would like to see little Melvin. Is he coming along OK? I guess he still rides a little piece with Doc every morning. Tell him I said Hello. Well Darling, I guess you think I am not writing enough this time but I want to try and drop your Mother a few lines and also Grandma. So, I will close, hoping to hear from you soon.

Lots lots love, Johnnie

Nell’s husband, Robert Astin

When Johnnie wrote Lucile’s parents on February 4, 1944, he again shared that he was somewhere in South Africa. He also had a lot of questions for his father-in-law, Sam Stacks.

Hello Ma and Doc,

Well, how does this letter find both of you? Well, I hope. Gee Ma, sure was sorry to hear about your sickness. Really glad to hear you are back on your feet again. As you know the old saying is you can’t keep a good woman down. Lou wrote me and told me about the doctor taking the cast off of Mary’s arm. I hope it came out OK. I am glad you like the pillow top and I want to thank you both for the two dollars. Really came in handy. Thanks again. O yeah, Ma, received a Christmas card from Aunt Agnes Jones. It sure was nice. I am going to try to drop her a line as soon as I finish this to you. O yeah, Ma, I want you and Doc to have a small photo made together and send it to me. I told Lucile to make you both have one made together. If she doesn’t get on you both about it I am going to be mighty mad at her. Well Ma, I would like to ask Doc a few questions so be sure and read this part to him. Doc, I would like to know if Atlanta is going to have a baseball team this year and if so, what do you think about them? Is there any chance of them winning many games? And Doc, what about the wrestling matches? Are there any new guys wrestling? Let me know. How is the sawmill coming? I hope everything is running swell there. How are all the gangs that work there? Tell them all hello for me. Doc, I don’t know whether Lucile told you all or not, but in case you don’t know, I am somewhere in North Africa, and this is really some country. Give me the good ole U.S.A. anytime, Ha Ha. Well Doc and Ma, I will close for now but before I close, I want to thank you both for everything you have done for Lucile and I and maybe someday we can make it up to you both. 

Lots lots love, Johnnie

Johnnie’s V-mail to Lucile dated February 5, 1944 had an APO #85 postmark. Wherever he was, he let Lucile know that there was a six-hour time difference. 

Hello Darling,

Just a few lines wanting you to know everything is going well with me. If anything, I just miss you a hell of alots. I hope this finds you in good health and also don’t want you worrying about me. I don’t know whether you know it or not but here we are six hours ahead of your time. It is one o’clock at noon now. That would put it seven o’clock there, so I guess you are just getting ready to go to work or do you work on Saturday or not? Have you ever received the letter from me asking about a photo of you and also some stamps? You should have by now. I mailed it over three weeks ago. Well Darling, I guess this is all the news for this time. 

So, lots lots love, Johnnie

February 6, 1944 was another day of travel with the regiment departing from Camp St. Denis du Sig via truck convoy heading for Port Aux Poules, Algeria, Africa. They remained at that camp through late March, devoting their training periods to amphibious operations.

What treat would make a soldier happy? Well, apparently some candy or a fruit cake. At least that is what Johnnie suggested in his V-mail dated February 7, 1944.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines hoping you are well. This leaves me OK. Darling, to send me anything over here, like I hope you do, something like candy or maybe a fruit cake, just show the postman I am asking for you to send it. Honey, I have a birthday this month and you know the Old Boy is kindy getting old, Ha Ha. You shall receive this in the next ten days. As soon as I finish this, I am going to write you an air mail letter, a good long one. Tell all hello for me. So, lots lots love.

Always, Johnnie 


February 7, 1944 V-mail (click to enlarge)

1 comment:

  1. So interesting! Love reading these letters!! Talks about all our family!

    ReplyDelete