Thursday, August 17, 2023

February 8 and 9, 1944

True to his word, Johnnie wrote Lucile a longer letter on February 8, 1944 and let her know he daydreamed of her and wanted her to save money so he could take it easy for a bit after he came home.

My Dearest Darling,

Well, here it is another day gone by and as I said in that V-mail I sent you yesterday that I would follow it with an air mail letter, so here goes. Darling, I hope this finds you well and in good health. Gee, it seems ages since I saw you, even though it has just been about four months ago. You know I picture things you are doing back there, all during the day. I hope I picture things right. You never wrote me yet, or rather I haven’t received any mail from you saying whether you changed jobs or not. And another thing honey, do you really want to go to Florida? Not that I care whether you go or not, but you mentioned in one of your letters that you wanted to go down there after you found out I have arrived safely over here and then in another letter you wrote me you said you were going to start saving all the checks you receive every month and live off what you made working. I wish you would make up your mind, Ha Ha. If I was you, I would try and save a little money because I am not going to hit a lick of work for awhile after I get out of this Army and we might need a little to keep us up, Ha Ha. No kidding though, I am going to send you ten or fifteen dollars more every month and I want you to put it away for me, regardless whether you save yours or not. There isn’t anything to spend money on over here, so I just as well send it to you. Well Babe, I hate to close this right now, but I have a little guard to do tonight, so goodnight and God Bless You.

Lots lots love always, Johnnie

Here is something I heard. It is from the bottom of my heart to you.

Close to you
I will always stay
Close to you
Though you are far away
You’ll always be near
As though you were here by my side
No matter where
In my dreams I find you there
Close to you
Sharing your caress
Can’t you see
You are my happiness
Wherever you go
My heart will go too
What can I do
I only want to be
Close to you

I wrote that in a hurry. I hope you can read it.

Love, Johnnie  


(click to enlarge)

In Johnnie’s February 9, 1944 letter to Lucile, he told her about his lucky keychain and the special name he had given to his rifle.

My Dearest Darling,

I received one of your letters yesterday and also one from your Mother. Sure was glad to hear from you both. Honey I hope this finds you in the best of health and as good and sweet as you have always been. I am glad you got you another coat and are getting you some more clothes before they ration them. I bet you look good in your coat. Be sure and don’t go off and leave that one somewhere, Ha Ha. I guess Robert has already come home and gone back by the time you get this. What did he say when you told him I was overseas? O yeah, tell Nell the key chain I kept when I sent the keys back home I have still got it and I am keeping it for luck, because it has a dice on it. Also tell her every time I look at it, I think of the swell time we had when I was home this last time. Honey I know you are afraid to send me a watch over here because it might not be in good shape when it gets to me. But I want one so bad I could kick myself every time I think about not getting one while I was back in the States. It really burns me up. I am glad you find time to write me every night. Keep it up because I feel so good when I receive a letter from you. I have been writing to you pretty regular lately and I will write you every chance I get. Yes honey, Doc and Mom have been swell to us. I just hope I can make it up to them someday. I sure would like to see that picture of me Carol is always making a fuss about. It must be one of the worst ones I have ever had made, Ha Ha. Well Darling, I will have to close for this time because I have to clean little Luke. That’s my rifle’s name, Ha Ha. Tell Everybody hello for me and God bless you all.

Lots lots love always, Johnnie 

Elvie (Orr) Stacks and Lucile

We do not know if the coat in the photo above is the one Lucile bought, but it very well could be. 

Johnnie wrote his mother-in-law a V-mail on February 9, 1944 to wish her and his father-in-law a happy birthday. Leola (Lemon) Stacks had celebrated her birthday on January 26 and Sam Stacks celebrated his on January 28.

Happy birthday to you both and many more of them.

Hello Mom,

I received your nice letter and was glad to hear you are all well again. I am sorry to hear about Frances and the baby having the flu. I hope by the time you receive this they are much better. I am going to drop Frances and Woodrow a line as soon as I finish this. Mom, I received the money you sent. Thanks a million. I wrote you and Doc an air mail letter last week, saying I received the money OK. I guess you haven’t received it yet. I hope Mary Ann is much better now. Tell all the kids hello for me and give them my love. Well, I guess this is all I can write for this time. 

So, lots lots love, Johnnie


 Leola Stacks


(click to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment