Thursday, July 27, 2023

Italian Campaign - January 1, 10, and 15, 1944

Sometime after Christmas and before New Years Day, the 337th traveled from Fort Dix in New Jersey to Newport News, Virginia, their last stop before heading overseas. The only group on the vessel, they departed from the Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation on January 1, 1944 via the HMS Andes

Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation (public domain)

 

HMS Andes
Horatio J. Kookaburra, EPISODES OF WWII: Troopship ANDES, with an admiring appraisal:
Album of Derek Simon [1919-2004] courtesy Graeme Andrews;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/41311545@N05/5631425982/.
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0)

They arrived in Casablanca, French Morocco, North Africa on January 9, 1944. While in Casablanca, they were stationed at nearby Camp Don B. Passage. When Johnnie wrote Lucile at noon on January 10, 1944, he told her he was “somewhere in North Africa.” 

My Dearest Darling,

Well, how does this letter find you? Well, I hope. I am OK myself. We had a swell trip coming over. I am somewhere in North Africa and it is nothing like I thought it was. Well, how did your New Year come out? Did you make up some things you weren’t going to do? I mean your bad habit to good ones, Ha Ha. When he just got to thinking about home and wondering if everything is going OK with his wife and all the folks. I feel like that all the time. Are you still working at the same place? Is Nell still staying with you? How is Ma Stacks and Doc? Are they still arguing about him going to the wresting matches? I bet she is. Have you heard from Kate or seen her lately? Tell her to drop me a line or two once in a while. Have you still got on your mind about going to Florida? Let me know if you do go. Well, I had better close for having got no light and it is getting pretty dark where I can’t see to write. Will write again soon. 

Lots lots love always, Johnnie

Johnnie wrote a second letter to Lucile later in the day on January 10, 1944. He had hopes for the new year but sadly they would not be realized for a while. This letter was the first time Johnnie used the phrase “I miss you a lot and I love you a million,” which became his signature closing. It meant enough to Lucile that she saved a small piece of paper that Johnnie wrote those words on.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and hope that this finds you the same. Well, another year is started, and I hope and pray that this one will bring peace so we can all come back home. That will be a great day, won’t it? Well, how is Nell by now? I hope she likes the things I sent to the baby! I was lucky to get those things over here and I am not kidding you either. How is Mom Stacks? And Doc? Both well, I hope. I received a letter from Mary. She was telling me about how big she was getting and how long it would be before she could be getting married. She said she would wait till I got home, before she got married so I could be at her wedding, Ha Ha. I hope she don’t have to wait too long, right? Have you been getting my mail pretty regular? I hope so. I have been hearing from you pretty regular so far. Well honey, I don’t know anything else to write so I will close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Johnnie

The regiment departed Camp Don B. Passage via rail on January 14, 1944. Johnnie wrote Lucile on January 15, 1944 being very careful in what he wrote since he was talking about her weight. A man can get into trouble quickly doing that!

My Dear Darling,

I received two letters from you a couple of days ago but didn’t have time to answer them at that time. Also, received Dot’s letter with yours and one from Arnold. I am glad to hear you are OK and this picture you sent you look like you have gained a lot of weight and if I may say so you are getting better looking every day. As for myself, I can’t even start to say that. I am aging pretty fast. Don’t be surprised when you see me again. I don’t look like Rip Van Winkle, Ha Ha. I hope Nell and the baby are getting along well. And Mom Stacks and Doc the same. I am glad to hear you received the money. OK, wish I could make it more as I know you could use it. Yes, you are right, we shall both forget about the bad part of our marriage. It still was a great mistake on my part. I can’t forget that as you shall know. I am sending the picture of me back to you, it makes me think of the guy I once knew too much and that no boner in Italtion that no good. I am learning more about this speaking every day and all of it is really tongue twisting too. I am really sorry to hear about Edna. I hope by the time you get this she will be out of danger. I don’t hear no more from Irvin. I wrote him last too. Say, can you get me a good harp. I will send you the money to get it with. I like to have one. Because when we are not up on the front it would be something to pass the time away when I am not writing you. Well honey, I will close for now. So, God bless you. Tell all the folks I said hello. I miss you a lot. And I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie

Johnnie’s cousin, Arnold Pair

No comments:

Post a Comment