Thursday, July 13, 2023

November 28 and December 6, 1943

Johnnie wrote two postcards to Lucile on November 28, 1943, one showing the Soldier’s Club located at 132 East Hanover Street in Trenton, New Jersey.

Hello Darling.

Well, I hope this card finds you well. It leaves me good as can be expected. The front of this card shows the soldier club, next to the Y.W.C.A. Keep it for remembered.

Love, Johnnie



The second postcard dated November 28, 1943 showed a picture of the Masonic Template in Trenton.

Hello Darling,

I am writing this card at one of the Service Centers in Trenton. Do you remember their bldg. on the front of the card? It is the one just before you get to the Park. You know the one we went to one Sunday and was looking at those Cannon and how old they was? Remember.

Love Johnnie


 

Johnnie was busy on November 28, 1943, also writing a letter to Lucile from Trenton. 

Dearest Darling,

Well, here it is Sunday and I am up here visiting Trenton. Darling, I went to the Y.W.C.A. last night and they were having a square dance and can’t you think of me trying to dance that. Well, I got in it and it’s really not hard to do. They call out and tell you what to do, and I am not bragging, but I took it up doing that dance and any one I have ever tried. I have always wanted to learn to do any kind of dance and I wanted you to learn me what few steps you know, but every time I would grab you and try to dance with you, you wouldn’t take no pains to teach me what you know. You can’t say you don’t know a few dancing steps, because you, Dot, or Nell was always dancing together before we were ever married. Well so much for that. Lou, I hope to be with you this time next Sunday, if not, there’s not much chance of me coming home till after this is all over with. In case I don’t see you before we leave, I will always remember you Darling as the most wonderful wife and also as a girlfriend before we were ever married, as a guy like myself who isn’t worth two cents, ever had. And Darling, that’s one thing I can say to the whole world and be proved of. I miss you Darling.

Love always, Johnnie 


Lucile’s sisters, Dot and Nell Stacks

God bless the Army because Johnnie got his furlough and was able to go home to Georgia to see Lucile and some of the family before he shipped out. He must have headed south right after he wrote the Masonic Temple postcard and was back at Fort Dix by December 6, 1943 when he wrote his next letter to Lucile.

My Dear Darling,

Just a line to let you know I miss you and to let you know I arrived OK. Say I came off with Nell keys in my pocket and didn’t know I had them till I already got on the train. Tell her I will send them to her as quick as I can get a little box to put them in. I am getting paid the tenth of the month and I will send you some money. Say, the weather here is really cold after being down there in such a warm climate. Gee, it seems more like a dream, me being there with you and all the folks. Darn I would give anything to own that little house down by Woodrow. I hope someday to own it too. Well, it’s about time for the lights to go out so I will have to close for this time. Tell all the folks hello for me and that I really enjoyed myself while I was there.

Lots lots love, always, Johnnie

P.S. Be sure and send me one of them pictures and let me see what I look like and I will send it right back.

Love, Johnnie

Sorry I left with the keys. Never thought about them till the train done left. Luke look for my pay book and send it to me.

Love Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment