Thursday, July 6, 2023

November 5, 19, and 27, 1943

Lucile made it to New Jersey by November 5, 1943 and rented a room for the week ending November 12. The image below is a rent receipt signed by Mrs. Brady showing she paid $7 for one room for the week.


Rent receipt from New Jersey

A sign that Johnnie’s company would soon be going overseas was having to fill out a change of address card. This card is dated November 5, 1943 so he must have filled it out while Lucile was in Texas.


Change of address card

At some point during Lucile’s visit, Johnnie left base without the proper authorization. It cost him but he probably did not regret it. He told Lucile about it in a letter he wrote Saturday night, November 19, 1943, from Fort Dix.

I miss you Darling

Hello Darling,

I hope this finds you have arrived home OK and well. Well, I got caught for going out of camp without my pass. I don’t know how they found out about me leaving camp and coming to see you but they got me some way. I am restricted to the camp for seven days. What I want to tell you though is I am expecting an eight-day furlough around next week end. The captain told me if I could show him I was a good soldier, he would put me up for one next week. So, if you could be with me next week you would see the best soldier Uncle Sam ever had, Ha Ha. I guess I will have to hitchhike, because I know you are as broke as I am and also owe some money. So, I guess I better forget about coming home. I don’t want to borrow no more money from the Red Cross and I want you to get straightened out. The best I can say so far Lou, is if I don’t get this furlough, if the good Lord is with me, I will see you after this is all over with. If you will wait, I will come back some way. You will have to wait on that package a little while till my restriction is over with anyway. I am going to try and get one of the boys to go by and pick it up for me, so don’t worry about it. Well, I guess this is all for this time. 

Love xxxxx, Johnnie

P.S. Tell everybody hello.

Johnnie’s company went on alert on November 20, 1943. At any given time, they would ship out. On November 27, 1943, Johnnie wrote a letter to Lucile to tell her he could have had a furlough, but it had been cancelled. 

My Dear Darling,

Just a line to let you know I am thinking of you and to let you know I mailed your suit to you today. Darling, I could have done had my furlough if I had the money to come home on. You see they made it out for last Wednesday but after I told them I didn’t have any money they cancelled it. One of the boys that works at regiment headquarters said I might get it Tuesday. That’s why I sent that telegram. If it doesn’t come up again, I will send the money back. We are leaving here between the fifteenth of December or the first of January. That’s the latest news, sometimes between those two dates. Well Darling, I guess this is all for this time, except I hope to be with you and all the folks, one day next week.

So, lots lots love, Johnnie

P.S. I love you. Tell everybody hello for me.

1 comment:

  1. It must have been so hard for him to leave her!! Loved both of them!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete