Thursday, July 20, 2023

December 10, 20, 22, and 25, 1943

Johnnie’s next letter to Lucile was written from Fort Dix on December 10, 1943. As it turns out, he didn’t see his Dad when he was home in Georgia. Johnnie was also thinking ahead to Christmas, just over two weeks away. 

Hello Darling, 

I hope you received the keys OK and hope you don’t feel so bad with your sickness coming on you. I guess by the time you get this you will be over with it and ready to start things moving again, Ha Ha. Has Dean ever come home? Stay away from that guy and I do mean you, Ha Ha. You say Robert is coming home in a couple of weeks. I hope he has as swell of a time as I had. Tell Nell to send me his address. I can’t write much tonight because we are having a test of some kind tonight at seven o’clock. It is about fifteen till seven now. I received a Christmas card from Daddy and his wife tonight. They sent me ten dollars for a Christmas present. Pretty nice don’t you think so? Boy, if they find out I was home and didn’t come and see them I will get the devil, Ha Ha. I am going to try and get off tomorrow and go to town and get some Christmas cards to send to all our friends. That’s about all we can do this year. Don’t you think so? This darn pencil is writing crazy so I better close for this time.

Lots lots love, Johnnie 

Johnnie’s father and stepmother, John Henry Marston and his second wife Lola

Almost two weeks passed before Johnnie wrote a letter to Lucile. Knowing they would be shipping out soon, they were probably training hard. Still, when Johnnie wrote his letter the night of December 20, 1943, he was worried about Lucile who has had a cold. And he wanted to make sure his grandparents received a Christmas card. 

My Dearest Darling,

I received a letter from you tonight and also a card from a Mrs. Christine who I don’t know. If I have ever met her, I can’t remember her. Do you remember meeting anybody by that name? Old Earl really has trouble with his car doesn’t he. I know just how he feels. Say Darling, I bought two Christmas cards, one for GrandDad and one for Grandma but I can’t send them because I have forgotten their address. I want you to buy a couple and send to them. You can find their address by looking in the phone book. Be sure and send them to them. Darling, I hope your cold is much better by now. If not, you better go to a doctor about it. O yeah, has Nell gone yet to see Robert? If so, how long does she expect to stay? I hope you enjoy your couple of weeks off from work this Christmas. Maybe while you are off, you can get rid of that cold. How is Doc and all the family getting along? Fine, I hope. Tell them all hello for me and I hope you all have a Merry Merry Christmas.

Lots lots love, Johnnie

Johnnie’s grandparents, Mattie and John Marston

When Johnnie wrote Lucile the night of December 22, 1943, he wanted to make sure she knew he was still in the States. Unfortunately, he could not tell her where he was though. 

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and OK, and hope you are the same. Darling, by looking at my address you must think I have done gone across, but I haven’t. I am somewhere on the East Coast and I am not in New York so don’t worry about me. Well, Christmas is just around the corner now, and I hope and pray by this time next year we are all back home again and if everything keeps going like it is now, there is no reason why we shall not be. I hope you like the pillar slip I sent you and also the Christmas card. Well, I hope this letter don’t find you freezing. How is the weather there anyway by now? How is Doc and the family? I hope the kids enjoy their Christmas. I guess that’s all they are waiting for right now anyway, Ha Ha. I know just how they feel about this time of the year, because as a kid that is one happy day, and it just comes around once a year. Have you heard from Nell yet? I hope she is enjoying herself. Tell her hello for me and a Merry Christmas, Ha Ha. Well Darling, as news is short for this time I will close, hoping to hear from you soon.

Lots lots love, Johnnie

P.S. I hope the picture I had made for you came out OK.

Love, Johnnie

The next letter was undated but the contents tell us it would have been sent in December 1943 to mark their third wedding anniversary.

My Dearest Darling,

Just to let you know I haven’t forgot that the twenty-seventh of this month makes three years we have been married, and I hope we have a lot more years together, and as far as I am concerned, we will. I hope this find you feeling a lot better. Please watch your health, and take care of yourself, and stay as beautiful as you was when I last saw you. I just wish I could get the things I want you to have, and to show you how much I appreciate all the things you have done for me. I will make up for everything as soon as this is all over with. How are all the folks? Well, I hope. Tell them all hello for me and I wish them all a very happy new year. Tell Doc I am sorry to hear about the fire at the sawmill. I hope it wasn’t serious. I forgot to thank you for the ten dollars you sent me. I really need it to buy me up a stock of cigarettes and razor blades and toothpaste and other things Thanks again for it. Darling, I received a Christmas card from Evelyn and Louise, and Bill they sent me four dollars pretty nice don’t you think. O yeah, Darling, you mention might make a trip to Fla. And wanted to know if I care. Darling, I want you to do anything that best for you and if you want to go to Fla, it suit me OK. So Darling take care of yourself and don’t worry about me. God Bless You, and Lots Lots Love. 

Johnnie

It was December 25, 1943, Christmas Day, and the Army fed the boys a good dinner. After his meal was finished, Johnnie sat down to write Lucile. As he wrote the letter, he was daydreaming about what Christmas Day was like back home, most likely wishing he were there.

Dearest Darling Wife,

Well, here it is Christmas Day and I have just finished eating one of the biggest dinners I believe since I have been in the Army. It was really nice. I hope you enjoyed yours and I am awful sorry I can’t give you the things I want too. I hope you understand how things are now. I went to church this morning to a Christmas Mass and it was one of the best I have ever seen. I really enjoyed it. Well, how did the kids Christmas come out? Did all of them seem to like what they got? What about little Melvin? I bet he really is enjoying every bit of it. I can just see him now running back and forth playing with different things he got. I bet Gearl is more of a baby than he is getting into everything, Ha Ha. I bet Doc is having a time with Melvin, Betty, Mary playing with them and I bet Mom is having a time keeping the house in order. That’s how I picture it all to be and I hope I am right. Well Darling, two more days and we will be married three year’s and Darling, what part of those years we have been together was wonderful and if I may say so you are much better looking or shall I say beautiful now than when you were when we first met each other. Darling you are all I got now. Since my own Mother passed away and you are everything to me now. I pray for it to stay that way. Well Darling, I will close for this time hoping to hear from you soon.

Lots lots love, Johnnie 

Johnnie (2nd from left) with his sister Evelyn, mother Hattie, and sister Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment