Thursday, June 29, 2023

October 25, November 1 and 3, 1943

In an October 25, 1943 letter sent from Fort Dix, Johnnie told Lucile that his company would be on alert by the end of the month. Once they were put on alert, no more passes would be issued. It was now or never for Lucile to come see Johnnie before he shipped out.

My Dear Darling,

Well, here it is another day gone by and I still can’t do anything about getting you a place. What I mean is I haven’t had the chance to look around. You see, they give me some shots in the arm last Monday and told us we would have to stay in camp a week before we could get any passes. So being as I couldn’t get out, I couldn’t find you a place. Darling, about the only thing to do as I see it is for you to come on up to Trenton, New Jersey, and try to make it during the day time. Find yourself a place and then get in touch with me here in camp. Let me know the address and as soon as they let me out of camp, I will come to you, or you could come and stay a couple of days in camp at the guest house. You see, Trenton New Jersey is twenty miles from camp, but after you get here, I believe I can get you a place alots nearer. There is a little town right outside of the camp here called Wrightown. I don’t know much about it. I don’t know where the rent would be high or not being so close to camp. As it is, if you do come up and don’t know how to get about, go to the Y.W.C.A. or the Red Cross and they will help you out. O yeah, you are still putting 84th on the front of my mail. It is the 85 now, so watch that where you put it down. Darling, if you haven’t got a coat you better get one before you come up here because it is kind of cold. If also you haven’t got much money you better wait till you save up some because I believe things are a little higher here than it was in Texas. We go on the alert November 20. In other words, no more passes or anything after that date so try to make it a few days before then. Anyway, I received a letter from Louise tonight. I am sending it to you. Well Darling, I guess I told you everything I can think of you to do so will close. Lots lots love. 

Always, Johnnie

Say, did you receive a letter from me with just a blank piece of paper in it. I am sorry I put the wrong one in there, but I was kind of worn at the time and wasn’t paying much attention to what I was doing. Don’t bring a lot of suitcases to carry around with you. Come with just as little as possible when you do come.

Love, Johnnie


Lucile, Elvie, Nell, and Evelyn (Geral’s wife)

The clock was ticking—there was an urgency to Johnnie’s desire to see Lucile. In a November 1, 1943 letter sent from Fort Dix, Johnnie reminded Lucile that his company was going on alert soon. They were training for what was to come and he missed her.

Hello Darling,

I received a letter from you, one mailed just a couple of days ago, and one that was mailed October 14. Glad to get both. Well Darling, I have not much to say this time, except I’ve been out on the rifle range the last five or six days, and plenty time of it too. Also, tell you I miss you awful lots and to still let you know we go on alert about the twentieth of this month. I would like to see you and talk to you about a certain matter, even if it is just a little while. Write and let me know when you expect to arrive here and let me know whether you are coming on a bus or train where I can try and get a pass to meet you. Try and let me know a couple of days before hand because if I get a pass, I’ve got to turn my name in the morning for a pass that nite, so let me know. I received a letter from Mr. and Mrs. Day and was glad to know they haven’t forgot me. I am sending it to you. Well, this is all I can write because the lights are getting ready to go out.

Lots lots love, Johnnie

Be sure if you come to bring my address where you will know what outfit I am in. Also, bring my belt and cap.

Love, Johnnie

Johnnie’s letter collection contained this November 3, 1943 letter from his mother-in-law, Leola Stacks. Lucile must have left College Park for New Jersey shortly after this letter was written. She carried with her a gift for Johnnie from her mother—a bag of pecans grown on their property. Leola also wanted to send Johnnie a cake but Lucile was in too much of a hurry to wait for her to bake one.

If you can’t read this, bring it to me and I’ll try too. It may be to mixed up for I’m a mixed up somebody.

Dear Son,

I will try once more to write you. I guess you think I have forgot you but I sure haven’t and never will. There has been so many things happening until I just haven’t been able to get what little sense I have together enough to write. I just haven’t been where I could be up hardly. I guess Lucile told you about Earl turning over in his car. He turned it bottom side up. I don’t see why some of them didn’t get badly hurt. I am so glad it wasn’t any worse than it was. It almost put me in the bed. I just can’t seem to get over it. I guess if I had been in it, I would have just passed out. He was running about 35 or 40 and he came to a curve and it was a sand bed too and there was a ditch on the side of the road and when he saw what he was into slammed on his brakes and the back wheel went in the ditch and it just turned bottom side up. He said it was all done so quick he didn’t have time to think. I sure did feel sorry for him he was so scared and nervous. His girl’s dad brought him home. It sure tore up his car. It will cost a plenty to get it fixed. Well, I guess you are tired of hearing about the car so I will change the subject. I sure am sorry you are not going to get a furlough. We were all looking forward to it. I dreamed last night you and Robert were both at home and I thought you had got so fat you didn’t look like yourself. Well, Lucile is leaving to go to you. I sure wish we could all see you. I thought I would just let her take my letter to you. I am sorry your cake was in such a mess when you got it. I would have baked another one and sent it by Lucile but you know Lucile, when she gets ready to go, she goes, Ha Ha. But I am sending you some pecans. We got a bushel off the trees this year. Woodrow and Earl made 77 bushels of sweet potatoes. Well, I don’t know of any news much and Lucile is running around trying to get ready so I will close with lots of love.

Mother


Earl and his car, although we do not know if it is “the car”

No comments:

Post a Comment