Thursday, June 15, 2023

Fort Dix, Trenton, New Jersey - October 16, 17, and 18, 1943

On October 12, 1943, Johnnie’s company boarded the train for Trenton, New Jersey. Before leaving Louisana, Johnnie was given a Tetanus vaccine. Four days later, they arrived at his next stop—Fort Dix, the last stop before his regiment would head overseas. In a letter Johnnie wrote from Fort Dix on October 16, 1943, he told Lucile what he knew was going to happen next, and he did not know much. Johnnie also hinted at where the next stop would be—one neither of them was looking forward to him going to.


337th Infantry insignia


85th Infantry Division shoulder sleeve insignia

990 miles from Atlanta to Here

My new address is as follows.

Pfc John H Marston

Company B

337 Infantry

A.P.O. No 85

Fort Dix, New Jersey

I am in the 85th Division now instead of the 84

My Dearest Darling,

Well, I finally got a little time to write you. I have been on the train ever since Tuesday night. I arrived here last night, about nine o’clock, which was Friday. My whole company was pulled off of maneuvers and sent up here. We sure was surprised when they told us we were coming up here. We don’t know just how long we will be here. I have an idea where we are going from here and I guess you have an idea also. If so, you are right. Say, I don’t know when I will get a furlough or not. They say the ones that have been on one lately are likely not to get one. I don’t know for sure. I hope I get one. Darling, it really is bad and it would just about drive me crazy if I didn’t see you again before I go. Some of the fellows here in this outfit say we will go out on the rifle range and shoot all types of weapons and guns and that we will be out on the range about a month or more. I am going to find out more about it and if we are not going to be out all the time on the range, I want you to come up here and stay awhile. Honey, I never did receive the package you sent me. They say it will follow me on up here. I bet all the food won’t be any good. Oh yeah Darling, that cash I sent you, I wanted you to get me a chain to fit on it and send it back to me because I want to put around my neck whenever I go. Darling, can you send me some money? The reason is I want to get me some razor blades, soap, alots of things I can’t think of right now. Send me about ten dollars. Send it just air mail, it will get to me OK. I hate to ask you for the money but I need it, so please send it right back. I hope you like the last letter I sent you. It’s about the longest letter I ever wrote in my life, and Darling I meant everything I said in it concerning me and you. The doctor looked over me today and took xrays of my body. But they say I am in perfect health and a dam good looking mans body. So, you get something good in me after all, Ha Ha. Darling, tell Doc, Mama Stacks, and all the kids and also Dear Old Grandma I hope to see them all again before I say goodbye for good. And you Darling, regardless of whatever happens to me or wherever I may be, I think of you and will always adore every bit of the pleasure and love you give me, from your body - and Soul. 

Lots lots love always, Johnnie


Postcards from Fort Dix, Trenton, New Jersey

Johnnie could see the writing on the wall and tried to explain to Lucile when he wrote her a letter from Fort Dix on October 17, 1943. The Army was preparing the boys to ship out.

Darling I Love You

Dearest Darling,

Well, here it is Sunday and the same old story, lonely and blue as ever. I wish I had a letter from you. It would make me feel much better just to hear from you and to know you are alright. As for me, the doctor said there wasn’t anything wrong with me except just love sickness and he wasn’t wrong about that either. I haven’t found out anymore us going on the rifle range as long as I told you in the other letter. As soon as I find out I will let you know. This fort where I am at now is what they call the port of embarcation. Here is where you get your whole body looked over inside and outside. X-ray took from the foot on up to the top of your head. If you are passed, it’s over you go, and as far as I know, I am as good as ever. Don’t let this information get out, because somebody might be a German spy or Jap spy, and the boat I am on might get the hell blown out of it, so keep it to yourself. Well Darling, I guess this is all the time I have to write right now because we have to go out for a formation at two o’clock and it’s like about five minutes till that time now. So, I will close.

Lots lots love always, Johnnie 

A slightly depressed Johnnie wrote Lucile from Fort Dix on October 18, 1943 telling her the latest on shipping out. It appeared that he had accepted what was happening because as he said “there isn’t much a guy can do about that.” He was probably trying to convince Lucile as much as himself.

I Love You

My Dearest Darling,

Well, here it is another day and it finds me wanting to see you that much more. I hope this letter finds you well and not as blue as I am. Darling, how are you getting along with your job? Is it very interesting? Has Nell gone to work up there also? Has she heard from Robert lately? Send me his address and I will drop him a line. We draw some of our new things today. I am getting new clothes, new shoes, and new of everything what you use in the army. Say, have you run across a cheap watch anywhere? I wish you would try to find me one. I would like to have one now more than any other time. If you can get one, that’s a good of enough Christmas for me. This fort is a nice place. I wish I could stay here all the time, but as the General said today, the time has now come. So, you see there isn’t much a guy can do about that. None of the guys know when we go, but most of them think it will be at least two months before we go. Don’t worry about me not seeing you before I go. If they don’t give me a furlough, I will take one of my own. Well, it’s about time for the lights to go out, so I better close. Lots lots love. 

Johnnie

Tell all hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment