Thursday, June 1, 2023

September 23 and 28, 1943

Johnnie used his noon time break from walking to write Lucile from Louisiana on September 23, 1943.

Hello Darling,

Well here it is another ten miles we have walked and we have an hour break so I am taking up this hour to write you. I received a letter from you today. That makes two I have received from you since I have been here. I have been here one week today and I have written you every chance I have got. If I am not mistaken, this one makes the sixth letter I have wrote you. Say, have you seen Kate yet? You say Nell has come back. Tell her hello for me. How is Doc and Ma Stacks getting along? Tell Grandma hello for me. O’yeah, tell Woodrow I said how does he do it, Ha Ha. No kidding, tell them I am glad to hear the good news and hope the baby and her get along fine. Well Darling, I guess this is all the news so Lots Lots Lots Love.

Johnnie

P.S. quit putting Private on my letter. It is Pfc, Ha Ha.

Johnnie wrote a second letter on September 23, 1943 from Shreveport, Louisiana, not mentioning the 100-mile walk. Had they made it to their destination? 

My Dear Darling, 

Well, I got a little time, so I will spend it writing you. I hope this finds you well. It leaves me OK. I hope everybody else there is well also. Say, I found a little brass cross with Jesus on it. I wish you would see if you could get me a little brass chain so I can wear it around my neck. I am afraid I might lose it carrying it around in my pocket. Or I might break it. If I had a way, I would send it to you. But I haven’t no box or anything to send it in. This weather is not as hot as it was in Texas. Say, have you heard from Dot about those pictures yet? If so let me know. Say we are getting ready to move out, so I will close this letter and the mail truck is coming this way. So, I better mail it now because I might not get to later on.

So, lots lots love, Johnnie


Johnnie’s sister-in-law, Dorothy “Dot” Stacks

Johnnie had food on his mind when he wrote Lucile from maneuvers on September 28, 1943—specifically chocolate cake. He is still cognizant of that fact he owes money to the Red Cross, although the receipt shows it was paid in full on September 1, 1943.

Hello Baby,

I received two of your letters last night, one saying you were going to see Kate, and the other one saying you saw her, and was going to the show with her. I am glad you went and seen about her for me. Thanks alot. Say Darling, if you don’t mind, I wish you would send me also besides the flashlight and the cigarette case, a carton of cigarettes, every twelve-days while I am on maneuvers. The reason is I can’t buy anything out here. I will send you my money since I can’t buy anything out here. I will have to keep ten dollars of it though to pay the Red Cross as you know. I guess I told you we eat out here when we can get it. I have already been without food two days since we have been here. That reminded me talking about food, what about in your spare time one day make me up a chocolate cake, and put a few other things with it and send it down this way. OK? Thanks alot Darling. I received a letter from Evelyn yesterday and she and Ray are having trouble again. I am sending you the letter for you to read. I am also sending the picture of Nell and Robert back. I have no place to keep it. Lots Lots Love.

Always, Johnnie


Johnnie’s sister, Kate Marston


Red Cross receipt for money borrowed earlier

Johnnie wrote a second letter on September 28, 1943, this one to Lucile’s mother. 

About the firing of the guns I am telling you about below in this letter, it is just to get us used to it. Don’t worry about me.

Hello Mom,

Well, I am going to try and answer your letter I received a couple days ago. Where I am at this moment it is kindly hard for me to write. I am in what the Army calls a foxhole. It is about as deep as I am, about two feet wide, and three feet long. They have got shells from big guns falling all around us. A lot of noise and dirt flying up, so please excuse this writing and this paper. The only way I have to carry paper and envelopes is in a pocket and I can’t keep them very clean. I don’t blame you a bit about Nell. I hope she takes your advice and moves up with you all. I am sorry to hear about Melvin and Betty’s sickness. I hope they are much better now. How is Doc and the rest of the kids getting along? Tell him and the rest hello for me and I hope to see you all pretty soon. Well, as this is all the paper I have to write on right now, I will close. Tell my Baby Luke I am thinking of her. Lots of love to you and all. 

Johnnie


Johnnie, his sister-in-law Dorothy Stacks, her husband Howard Hart,
and sister-in-law Betty Stacks (years later) 

No comments:

Post a Comment