Thursday, June 22, 2023

October 20 and 22, 1943

Lucile would not have been happy when she read Johnnie’s October 20, 1943 letter from Fort Dix. He had to tell her that he would not be able to get a furlough so there would be no trip back to Georgia before he shipped out. Their only hope of seeing each other would be if she came to New Jersey. 

My Dearest Darling, 

Well, here it is another day about to go by and missing you that much more. Darling, I am sure I won’t get a furlough. You see, they have got it fixed here if you had one in the last six months you can’t get one, so that’s that. If I had some money, I would see if I could get a pass and go to the nearest town here and see if I could find you a place up here so you could come up and stay a few days. That’s the only way I can see you again before I leave this place. I was hoping to see all the folks before I left, but I guess I won’t now. Tell them all hello for me and I hope to see them all again soon. Well, as this is all I can write right now, I will have to close. O’yeah the nearest big town from here is Trenton. It’s about fifteen or twenty miles, I heard. Well, lots lots love. 

 Always, Johnnie 


Lucile

Johnnie sent a postcard, date unknown but from Fort Dix, to his brother-in-laws, Earl and Gearl Stacks. Based on what he wrote, they must not have been writing him. 

Hello Boys, 

Are shall I say men by now, Ha Ha. Say you guys having forgot you have a brother-in-law, have you? Well in case you don’t know it, I am still the guy and I am still around so write and let me hear from you both. 

Love, Johnnie 


Postcard to Earl and Gearl Stacks from Fort Dix in New Jersey

What do you do when you know you will be going to the front lines of a war soon? You lay your heart out to the one you love most, which is exactly what Johnnie did in his October 22, 1943 letter written from Fort Dix. 

Dearest Darling Lou, 

As I sit here starting to write this letter to you, I think of our three years of marriage, life, and what times we have had together, and what sorrow we have had together. Its not that I don’t appreciate the times we had before we got married. No, it’s not that, because they were wonderful times also. The time Demp brought me down to your house and I met you and all the family. And of course, the way you despised me and how sly I was though the rest of the family. I can’t understand whatever made us take up with each other, can you? You know yourself you never give a darn for me when we first met. I can’t say that for myself though, because the minute Demp introduced us to each other, I knew you was mine if I had anything to say about it. I know I have given you some raw deal since we have been together, and I have regretted everything I have done to you. Any other wife wouldn’t stay with her husband for what I have done to you and the way I have treated you. Lou, you may not believe me, but a lot of times even when I was home, I have prayed to keep us together and to keep us in health. I guess you think what come over me, saying and telling you all this. Well, I want you to know how I feel. I wanted to tell you sooner or later, so I am trying to write it all to you. If I wait later, it might be too late. I guess you understand that. I just came back from mail call and having received no mail from you or anybody it’s been a week since I wrote you since I been here today is Friday. It really makes me feel bad, not hearing from anybody, especially you. I am going to try and get a pass tomorrow and go see if I can find you a place so you can come up and stay awhile. Gee, I want to see you so bad. I haven’t got any money, but I am going to try to borrow enough to go and see if there are any places for rent around here. I was hoping to get the ten dollars from you tonight, so I could take it and pay down on you a place where you could have it ready for you when you come. We are not going to have much more time together, not for a while anyway. And I want to be with you as much as possible. Well Lou, this is all for this time, especially what I told you, and Darling, I know I kid you a lot and shot you a lot of bull, but the way things look now, my kidding is over with. I love you and if I have to, I will die for you. It will be you for what I will be fighting for. You come first. Tell Hello for me to everybody. I give them my Love. And to you Darling, Lots Lots Love. 

Always, Johnnie 

P.S. I received the package from you all last night. The cake was broke all up. But it was good anyway. Thanks a lot. Johnnie and Lucile


Johnnie and Lucile (after the war)

No comments:

Post a Comment