Thursday, October 19, 2023

April 12, 15, 16, and 17, 1944

Johnnie could not tell Lucile what was happening in Italy in his April 12, 1944 V-mail to Lucile.

My Dear Darling,

I received two letters from you today and I hope by the time you get this, that your measles have left you, because I know that kind of sickness isn’t fun, right? As for myself, I am as well as can be expected. Yes honey, I am hoping to be with you on your next birthday, or sooner. Anyway, that will be one great day for me, and I know for millions of other guys. I am glad to hear that the kids had a good Easter and that Mom Stacks was able to be up and enjoyed it with them. Yes, I bet Melvin does look good in his new suit. Well Darling, I will close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Leola Stacks and Johnnie’s daughter, Diane Marston (after the war)

Johnnie asked for writing supplies in his April 15, 1944 V-mail to Lucile. His request came with a dire warning if she did not send any!

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am OK and hope that this finds you the same. Honey, you said you have never received the last money I sent you. I am sure by the time you get this you will have the money. Honey, I wish you would send me some writing paper and also a pen and pencil set. Be sure and get me a good one too. If you don’t, I am running short of paper and I am borrowing a pen to write with all the time. Send it as quick as possible. I won’t be able to write you as much as I have been on account of that. Honey, I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Lots love, Johnnie


Johnnie was thinking about his and Lucile’s future in his April 16, 1944 V-mail. 

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to find out if you are OK and well. This leaves me about the same. Only missing you a hell of alot. I hope it’s the same way with you. Honey, has the Army ever got Mickey yet? I hope not. How is the rest of the family? I hope they are all well. Has Doc ever got another car yet? Your Mother wrote me in one of her letters that he might swap it for another car. That’s why I ask. I guess its pretty nice back home now, isn’t it? Honey, you asked me if I wanted the house down below Woodrow? I would give anything for it if it is as good as it was when I last saw it. I hope to own it some day for me and you. Will close. I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

Johnnie was very close to talking about something most women do not want to hear in his April 17, 1944 V-mail to Lucile—her weight!

My Dearest Wife,

I received a letter from you today and also the picture of you and little Carol. They both really look good to me. Little Carol sure has grown alot and she looks mighty healthy and honey, you are looking grand yourself. You wrote and told me in one of your letters that you were gaining weight. You can look at the picture you sent me and tell that. Honey, I wish there was some way for me to have a picture made. I doubt if you would know me. I have a mustache and I have let my sideburns grow about an inch longer and I weigh about a hundred and fifty. I hope this finds all the folks well and tell them all hello for me. Will close. Write me. I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Lucile

No comments:

Post a Comment