Thursday, October 5, 2023

March 28, 29, and 30, 1944

The regiment arrived in Naples, Italy on March 27, 1944, departing the same day by foot and convoy for Staging Area #1 in the vicinity of Bagnoli, Italy. They arrived at Staging Area #1 the same day and preparations began to “go into the line near Minturno, about 40 miles to the north.” On March 28, 1944 when things settled down, Johnnie wrote Lucile a V-mail, gently reminding her that there would be times when he could not write to her.

My Dear Darling,

Well, I finally got around to being able to write you a few lines once more. There isn’t anything wrong with me. I am as well as can be expected. But as you know I have told you in my other letters that there would be times when you won’t hear from me so regular and I know you understand that part. I hope this finds you in the best of health and I am also glad to hear that Mom Stacks is lots better. Give her my regards. I received the Easter card from you today. Also, three letters. The card was very nice. I know what you mean when you said you were looking over those letters I wrote you before we were married. I didn’t keep my promise to any of them, did I? I will do my best to make up a lot of things when we are back together again. I owe a lot to you. Will close. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Johnnie


Map of Italy with Naples circled in red (The World Factbook 2021, Washington, DC:
Central Intelligence Agency, 2021, public domain)

Johnnie wrote his March 29, 1944 letter from Italy on United States Navy stationery. He again changed “Navy” to “Army.” He had to use whatever paper was available. 

My Dearest Darling,

I am sorry I haven’t written you in the last few days but as I told you in my other letters, there will be days that I won’t be able to write. But don’t worry about me, for you know I will write you every chance I get. Darling I am in Italy now and I am OK and well. Honey, have you ever received any of the money I sent you? I guess you have by now. Darling, have you been having those pains lately. If so, please go see a doctor. That’s one thing I want you to do is to take care of your health. How are all the folks? Well, I hope. Tell them all hello for me. Well Darling I will have to close for this time. 

So, lots lots love, Johnnie

Johnnie had lots of questions in his March 30, 1944 letter to Lucile—13 in all.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and OK and hope that this finds you the same. Darling, has Nell ever come back from visiting Robert yet? Are you both still working at the same place? I hope you never got on the night shift. Have you? How is Mickey and his girl getting along? Swell, I hope. Has Mickey heard anything from the Army yet? I hope not. How is Doc and Ma? Tell them I said hello. O’yeah, has that little Melvin grown any yet? Have you a picture of him taken recently? If so, send it to me. How is Dot and Drex and the baby getting along? Tell them to write me. Honey, has Grandma ever received the letter I wrote her? Let me know. Say, have you ever sent me those packages yet? I hope so. Have you ever heard from Louise yet? She wrote me and said she dropped you a line. I wonder how Evelyn ever came out with Ray. Have you heard? Well Darling, I will close for this time. So, keep writing. 

And lots lots love, Johnnie


Johnnie

When out of paper, you use what is available. Again, Johnnie crossed out “Navy” and wrote “Army” on this letter, something he did in several of his letters to Lucile.

Note the ‘Army Examiner” stamp in the bottom left corner of the envelope below.

No comments:

Post a Comment