Thursday, October 12, 2023

March 31, April 6, 7, 8, and 9, 1944

Birthday wishes to Lucile were all that was on Johnnie’s mind in his March 31, 1944 V-mail.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines tonight to let you know I am thinking of you and hope this finds you in the best of health. Well Darling, tomorrow is your birthday, and I hope you have twice that many more. Honey, how does it feel to be twenty-two years old, Ha Ha? You know, I am not running your age up this time, Ha Ha. You remember how I used to kid you about your age? I never forget the times we have had together. Will you? Lots Lots Love.

Always, Johnnie

Johnnie mentioned that his unit has been on the move in his April 6, 1944 letter. That would probably explain why it had been six days since his last letter.

My Dearest Darling

Well, here it is April the first and I hope this finds you in the best of health and also hope that you had a wonderful day being that you have had a birthday. I just hope and pray that I am with you on your next one, and the way things are going now, I will be. I haven’t heard from you in a good while now. I guess it is because I have moved on over here in Italy and my mail hasn’t caught up with me yet. How is the little old house, have you made much changes since I was there last time? I guess you have. Honey, I received a V-mail letter from Louise today. She seems to be getting along OK. Say Darling, have you heard from sister Kate lately? I haven’t heard from her since I’ve been overseas. It seems she would drop me a line by now. How is Doc and Ma getting along? Well, I hope. Darling I wish you would thank all of your family for me and let them know I received all the Easter cards they sent. Well Darling, I will have to close for this time. So, write me all you can and I will do the same. I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


Johnnie’s sister, Louise Marston

Extended family members are always on Johnnie’s mind. He asks about several in his April 7, 1944 V-mail.

My Dear Darling Wife,

Just a few lines to let you know I am thinking of you and hope that this finds you well. I received a letter from Louise today. Sure was glad to hear that she, Baby Sis, and also the Baby are getting along alright. Darling, has Nell ever come back from visiting Robert yet? I guess she has by this time. Has Mickey heard any more about the Army? Let me know. How is the rest of the family? Is little Melvin growing any lately? Sure would like to see that little devil, Ha Ha. O’yeah honey, did you ever send me that wedding band? Sure would like to get it. Well Darling, will close for this time. I love you a million.

Johnnie


Melvin Stacks

Johnnie tells Lucile he recently sent pictures to her in his April 8, 1944 letter from Italy. He is also wondering where items are that she has sent to him.

My Dear Darling Wife,

Hello honey, I hope this finds you in the best of health. As for me, I am OK. I received two letters yesterday from Dad and his wife. Just one was really a letter. The other one had some clipping of the paper. Also had a couple of the two bel— [unreadable] which you get off of street cars and buses. I have never received the hankerchiefs or the other things you sent me. I sent you some pictures of some pals of mine that are in my outfit and one of my old company commander who went to the States. He was one swell guy: and a fighting fool. We all miss him. Well Honey, how is Mom Stacks? Is she able to get up and around good yet? What about the trouble with your Dad brother’s? How did it come out? OK, I hope. O say, have you ever received my watch and the rifle Dodge? You should have by now. O yeah, tell Nell I am still waiting for the picture of the baby. Also tell Dot to send me a picture of Carol. I would like to see how much she has changed since I last saw her. Well honey, I guess this is all the news for this time. So, keep writing and God bless you. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


An early photo of Leola (Mom) Stacks and her son Earl.
The dog on the running board is Trixie.

On April 8, 1944, the regiment was in a temporary camp near Mondragone, Italy conducting training in preparation of going into the front line. That same day, orders were received from Headquarters 85th Infantry Division to relieve the 351st Infantry of the 88th Division on April 11, 1944. Work immediately began to move troups and equipment into place to accomplish this. Things were getting busy for the regiment. On April 9, 1944, Johnnie warned Lucile in a V-mail that his writing time might soon be limited. According to Wikipedia, “… The 85th Division, under II Corps of the U.S. Fifth Army under Mark W. Clark, was committed to action as a unit, 10 April 1944, north of the Garigliano River, facing the Gustav Line, and held defensive positions for a month.”

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am thinking of you and hoping that this finds you well and OK. I received four letters from you today and I sure did feel good over it. Honey, maybe later on I won’t be able to write you as much as I have been writing you in the past. But I don’t want you to be worried about me cause you know I will write you every chance I can get. I received another letter from Louise today also. She said they are getting along OK. Well Darling, I will have to close for this time. So, write all you can and honey I love you a million.

Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment