Thursday, March 21, 2024

October 18, 20, and 21, 1944

On October 13, 1944, Company A, supported by tanks, launched an all-out assault on Monterenzio from the south. Simultaneously, Company C attacked from the northeast. The hill was successfully captured, along with 23 additional prisoners. Later that day, Company B secured the Palazzo position. At 6:30 PM, the enemy launched a fierce attack on the 3rd Battalion at Poggioli, deploying 40 men. However, the German force was repelled with significant losses. During the night, the 339th Infantry completed the relief by 2:04 PM on October 14, 1944, except for Company I, which remained on Hill 418. The regiment assembled in a rest area between Borgo di Bisano and la Villa where they stayed for six days. During this period, the regiment focused on rest, rehabilitation, training, and preparing for future combat. The 85th Division set up a shower and clothing exchange unit close to the front lines. This facility provided soldiers the opportunity to freshen up with showers and obtain clean clothing.


Pvt. Genaro G. Gomez, 337th Regiment, 85th Division, the first man to use the new showers set up
behind the front lines, October 15, 1944. Photographer: Quarrie, 3131 Signal Service Co.
Photo source: U.S. National Archives. Digitized by Signal Corps Archive, public domain. 

After a shower and fresh clothing, the troops were treated to coffee and doughnuts by the Red Cross.


Miss Ruth Bondy, one of three Red Cross girls attached to the 85th Division, serves coffee and
doughnuts to soldiers who have just had their shower and change of clothing at the new 85th Division
shower and clothing exchange unit, October 15, 1944. Photographer: McQuarrie, 3131
Signal Service Co. Photo Source: U.S. National Archives. Digitized by Signal Corps Archive, public domain.

The precise location of the medical facility where Johnnie received medical treatment remains uncertain. Did he have the opportunity to appreciate the rest area facility alongside his fellow regiment members? Regardless of his whereabouts, Johnnie used this time for introspection about the war. And amidst the chaos, he prayed for a world that would one day know peace again—a sentiment he expressed in his October 18, 1944 V-mail to Lucile.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am alright and hope with all my heart that this finds you well in health and making out OK back there at home. Also, hope you never get interested in whatever you are doing, or at the place where you are working. Not to give me a little thought and the good times we have had together in the past years when I am where I can think my thoughts and go back to the years of what we need to enjoy so much. And the peace that this world once had and pray that we see it again in peace and happiness. And all of this in the past and I hope forgotten. Well honey, tell all the family hello and to write. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

On that same day, the 2nd Battalion was assigned to the 339th Infantry and took up positions on Hill 578 (also known as Poggioli) to safeguard the division’s right flank.

On October 20, 1944, just under three weeks after Johnnie sustained his injury, Lucile received a Western Union telegram from the U.S. Army Adjutant General, informing her of his condition.

W.WMUC 404 32 GOVT=  WUX WASHINGTON DC 20   900P=

MRS LUCILLE S MARSTON=

ROUTE NUMBER ONE   COLLEGE PARK GA=

REGRET TO INFORM YOU YOUR HUSBAND PRIVATE FIRST CLASS JOHN H MARSTON JR WAS SLIGHTLY INJURED IN ACTION TWO OCTOBER IN ITALY   YOU WILL BE ADVISED AS REPORTS OF CONDITION ARE RECEIVED=

J A ULIO THE ADJUTANT GENERAL.


Western Union telegram to Lucile from the U.S. Army Adjutant General


Adjutant General James A. Ulio; Harris & Ewing, photographer,
public domain, via Wikimedia Commons.

On October 20, 1944, the 2nd Battalion relieved the 3rd Battalion, 350th Infantry on Mount Cuccoli. Company A occupied Farnete to the right of the 2nd Battalion. The regiment’s task was to seize Castellaro in the right sector. The maneuver involved a column formation attack, with the 2nd Battalion leading and the 1st Battalion following closely. During reconnaissance, the 2nd Battalion’s patrol captured seven prisoners in Castellaro. Companies F and G secured the hill, and by 9 PM, their defenses were complete. Meanwhile, the 1st Battalion regrouped. The 337th Infantry elements once again led the Fifth Army’s push toward Highway 9.

Despite his hospitalization, Johnnie remained keenly aware of the developments within his regiment. In his October 21, 1944 letter to Lucile, he harbored a lingering suspicion that Lucile had grown weary of his persistent expressions of affection. Simultaneously, he longed for her letters. The confines of the hospital walls physically isolated him from his unit, where her letters seemed lost to him.

My Dear Darling

I will try to write you a few lines but as I haven’t received any mail from you at all this month it is going to be hard. I know it isn’t your fault, of me not getting any mail from you, you see since I am away from my outfit, all of my mail is going to it and they haven’t just yet sent it here to me at the hospital. As you know I could write you all my mail to you and tell you how much I love you and how swell you have been to me, after what hardships I put on you in the years we have been married. But I know you get tired of it and want to hear other things I have to say. As I said before not hearing from you, I can’t think of anything to write. I am sending a clipping out of the Stars and Stripes that they wrote about the outfit I am in and I want you to keep it for me and maybe later on in years I hope I can look at it and think of these days. Well as I said before, I can’t think of much to write except I dream of you often. God only know how much I love you. Tell all the folks hello and to write. I miss you a lot and I love you a million!

Always, Johnnie

On October 22, 1944, the 1st Battalion attempted to take Mount Mezzano, but faced obstacles: Castellaro was not fully cleared, and the enemy counterattacked Hill 568. Company F captured C. Rovine and 17 prisoners. The 3rd Battalion secured Cuccoli Ridge. During the night, the 2nd Battalion cleared Castellaro and established a strong defense. The 1st Battalion faced resistance near il Poggio and withdrew to C. Rovine at dawn on October 23. 

No comments:

Post a Comment