Thursday, March 7, 2024

October 3, 5, and 6, 1944

Click here to read the Operations Report by the 337th Infantry Regiment for October 1944.

On October 1, 1944, the 85th Division launched a regimental attack. The 339th Infantry secured the left flank, while the 337th Infantry held the right. Supported by various units, including the 85th Reconnaissance Troop, Company A of the 310th Engineer Battalion, Company A of the 752nd Tank Battalion, Company B of the 805th Tank Destroyer Battalion, and a platoon from Company B of the 84th Chemical Weapons Battalion, the 2nd and 3rd Battalions advanced from a line of departure north of the Guignola-Rooo Road. Despite encountering enemy fire, Company K successfully outflanked resistance on the Guzzo Ridge, advancing methodically.

When tanks arrived at the 2nd Battalion, Company F swiftly broke through the ranks of Companies E and G, which were stalled on the ridge near il Caprullo. After five German soldiers surrendered, the remaining enemy forces withdrew. Despite relentless artillery fire, Companies E and F secured L’Oppio and Spedaletto, capturing 22 prisoners by 5:20 PM. Meanwhile, Company L of the 3rd Battalion received orders to advance to the ridge near Spedaletto and capture the next objective: Hill 751. During intense combat, the 1st Battalion, acting as reserves, rested in an assembly area southwest of Piancaldoli. Subsequently, the 3rd Battalion, supported by the 2nd Battalion, advanced under the cover of darkness until encountering enemy resistance. Their objective: Hill 761. Company L skillfully captured a hill, securing six enemy machine gun positions and taking 68 prisoners along with two self-propelled guns. Meanwhile, Company K withdrew from Guzzo Ridge and joined the battalion on the hill. Unfortunately, Company I was forced back to Hill 504 due to intense mortar and small arms fire.

The 3rd Battalion maneuvered through resistance to the east and west of the main ridge line. Meanwhile, the 2nd Battalion apprehended 25 prisoners despite scattered enemy opposition. At noon on October 2, all three companies engaged in fierce fighting. Notably, a patrol from Company L, nearly encircled by enemy forces atop Hill 625, fought their way back to rejoin the rest of the company already deeply engaged in combat. The regiment faced resistance from enemy tanks and an opposing company. A strategic decision was made: first, secure the pocket on Guzzo Ridge before advancing further. Simultaneously, the 1st Battalion, stationed at Spedaletto, dispatched a reinforced company to assist Company I, while Company K halted its progress just shy of Guzzo. During the afternoon, Companies C and I engaged on Hill 550, eliminating enemy machine guns. Simultaneously, Company L repelled two attacks on Hill 751, destroying an enemy tank. Orders were issued to maintain positions and resume the offensive at 3:06 AM on October 3. Under cover of darkness, the enemy launched an assault on Company L before midnight. Company G swiftly moved to Hill 751 to support the 3rd Battalion. The 328th Field Artillery Battalion strategically positioned themselves, laying down defensive fires just 50 yards ahead of Company L. The enemy attack was met with fierce artillery and small arms fire, resulting in significant losses for the assailants. As night wore on, a tense calm settled over the battlefield.

Johnnie was wounded on October 2, 1944 and spent the entire month in the hospital. As a result, he was unable to participate in the intense combat that his regiment faced during that period. Continue reading to discover more about their journey.


Johnnie in Italy

On October 3, 1944, a fierce battle unfolded. The 2nd Battalion aimed to secure Ridge 626-605, supported by tank destroyers. Simultaneously, the 1st Battalion focused on capturing Hill 587, while the 3rd Battalion targeted Hill 625 and the formidable C. Nupolare Ridge. Throughout the day, heavy casualties were exacted on both sides. Despite challenges, progress ensued. By 1 PM, our forces secured Casoncello and la Cella. However, the 2nd Battalion encountered enemy mines. On the right flank, Company L captured 28 prisoners, while the 3rd Battalion struggled. At 3 PM, Company A successfully captured C. di Rotaro. By 5 PM, tanks joined the 2nd Battalion, enabling Companies E and F to advance. By 6 PM, the 3rd Battalion made progress against Hill 635, and Company E secured Hill 628. The 1st and 2nd Battalions organized their objectives for defense and prepared to continue the assault the following morning. At 10:30 PM, Company I gained control of C. del Monte (Hill 588). Although our advances were costly, the enemy suffered heavy casualties, including 45 prisoners.

From his hospital bed on October 3, 1944, Johnnie wrote not one, but two letters. The first letter was addressed to Lucile, in which he discussed the usual topics—her health, financial matters, and family affairs.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am OK and hope with all my heart that this finds you the same. I hope you are over with the trouble with your throat since you have your tonsils out now. Also, glad that the doctors didn’t find anything else wrong with you. I am sorry to hear that you had to break one of your checks but you should have that other forty dollars I sent you by now anyway. I hope it don’t get lost like the first forty I sent you. I still can’t understand what happened to that money. I can’t do anything about it now because I have lost the receipt that I got when I sent it to you. But just in case, this other money doesn’t get to you, I am going to make sure I don’t lose these receipts. You asked me have I heard from Louise or Evelyn lately. No, I haven’t heard from them in about three months now. I am still waiting to hear from them first. I have been hearing from Dad and his wife pretty regular lately. O’yeah, I received a letter from Aunt Agnes. I can’t keep addresses so I haven’t written her. I wish you would write to her for me and explain why I haven’t answered her letter. Tell her I will try my best to remember her address on her next letter and will write myself. Tell Mom Stacks and Doc I haven’t forgot them and that I will write them right away. I guess Mickey will be in the Army by the time you get this. If not, tell him I wish him all the luck in the world when he does go. How is Nell? Sure would like to see that fat little pig now, Ha Ha. Just kidding. Well honey, I will have to close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


Johnnie and Lucile

The second was a V-mail to Leola and Doc Stacks with Johnnie sharing the delightful news that he had recently encountered Irwin.

Hello Folks,

Just a few lines to let you know I haven’t forgotten two good people and that I never could anyway. I hope this finds you both well. As for myself, I am OK. I haven’t had much time to write lately. But I will try to catch up on all my writing later on as soon as time permits me too. I received a letter from Aunt Agnes about three days ago. I can’t answer it because I can’t keep no writing addresses on me. I have been trying to remember her address but it is no need. Maybe it will come to me later on. Have you heard from Cecil lately? How is he? Tell him to drop me a line. O yeah, I have seen Irwin. He is OK! Hope to see him again soon. Will close. Tell all hello for me. 

Lots love, Johnnie

In neither letter did Johnnie mention his injury.

On October 4 at 6:30 AM, the 1st Battalion received orders to advance through the 2nd Battalion, supported by armored units, and capture Hill 587. Company A faced mines and small arms fire during their morning advance, successfully capturing Hill 587 by 7:25 AM. Despite this victory, numerous snipers continued to engage U.S. troops from concealed positions. By noon, our forces had neutralized or captured these enemy troops. Plans were then made to press forward toward the next objective: Hill 566. However, the regiment’s rapid advances had positioned leading elements significantly ahead of flanking units, exposing them to enemy fire from all directions. At 1 PM, preparations began on Hill 566. By 1:30 PM, Companies B and C launched a coordinated attack, but their advance was briefly halted by heavy artillery fire from the flanks. Undeterred, at 3 PM, a platoon from Company C successfully reached the objective, securing the hill within an hour. The 3rd Battalion reported that all resistance near the village of Sassonero had been eliminated. Despite this success, the enemy continued intense artillery fire within the regimental area, prompting the initiation of a counter-battery program to neutralize the bombardment.

On October 5, 1944, Johnnie finally disclosed his injury to Lucile via V-mail. 

My Dear Darling Wife,

Just a few lines to let you know I am OK and hope with all my heart that this finds you the same. Honey, I received the picture of you. It really looks well. Gosh, I still believe you have grown a little taller. You sure look tall in this picture. It’s really going to be bad if I have to get up on a step ladder to even kiss you, Ha Ha. I am in the hospital again. I sprang my ankle and it swelled up a little bit and they sent me to the hospital. I don’t guess I will be here very long. But who knows? I am very down on my weight now. But you can’t expect to keep that or anything else over here. Have you been getting my mail to you pretty regular? I have been writing to you as much as possible. Will close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

We lack information about the circumstances surrounding Johnnie’s ankle sprain or its initial severity. It is possible that it initially seemed like a mild sprain, but over the course of three days, it progressively worsened, ultimately necessitating the extended hospital stay.

During the intense battle, the 1st Battalion (Johnnie’s) faced Monterenzio as their next objective. Intelligence revealed formidable enemy defenses, including surrounding hills and buildings (Hill 528, Soaruglio, Hill 572, Palazzo, Poggioli). Instead of a direct assault, the battalion probed the area to locate guns and strongpoints, improve the ridge trail for tank support, and soften the objective with artillery and dive bombings. Despite heavy artillery, patrols identified an enemy outpost line from Hill 408 to Hill 407. At 5:40 PM, the enemy attacked, but prepared fires forced their retreat by 6:18 PM. Company I secured the right flank, and Company E defended near Ca di Bellaia (Hill 513). Division ordered a halt, and their position was consolidated overnight.

On October 6, 1944, patrols and reconnaissance occurred. Enemy forces held Hills 496 and 423, while C. Maleta was secured by an E Company platoon. The 3rd Battalion relocated to the Sassonero area, and the 1st Battalion of the 338th Infantry advanced to Hills 301 and 369 on the left flank. However, the attack was postponed due to division orders.

Amidst the chaos of the front lines, Johnnie, a young soldier, confronted the brutal realities of war. His once-untouched innocence lay shattered, replaced by a steely resolve forged in battle. Still in the hospital on October 6, 1944, he wrote a V-mail to Lucile, pouring out his emotions.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines hoping that this finds you well and OK. As for myself, I am well. Only wanting to see you so bad, which I hope and pray won’t be so long off. I wonder a lot how things are going back home with you, and I have dreamed often of the day when I return and we can start building up again the things that we both want. I have seen a lot and learned plenty since I have been over here and a lot of things that I have seen here, I know darn well none of the people back there will believe was possible, not unless they’ve seen it all themselves. Things that have happened here, I hope and pray will never happen back there in America. I guess you are tired of all this I am writing so I will close. Tell Mom and Doc I said hello and tell all the rest I am thinking of them. I miss you a lot Darling and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie 

No comments:

Post a Comment