Thursday, March 14, 2024

October 9, 10, and 12, 1944

On October 7, 1944, Company L received orders to move to Ridge 407-386, extending the regimental right flank. After engaging in firefights, Company L successfully captured the ridge and established a rear slope defense. Meanwhile, Company E of the 2nd Battalion assembled near Hill 605. Just before midnight, the enemy assaulted Hill 407, suffering the loss of 13 men taken as prisoners. The division advised the regiment to maintain their current positions.

On October 8, 1944, Company K patrolled the areas of Palmona, Hills 423, and 424. After an intense battle, they captured Hill 407 along with 29 prisoners. The 1st Battalion, 338th Infantry, supported Company L for the upcoming attack scheduled at 9:06 AM on October 9.

In a three-battalion assault, the 1st Battalion led the attack to capture Monterenzio. Flanking them were the 1st Battalion, 338th Infantry (left), and the 3rd Battalion (right). Companies B and C of the 1st Battalion advanced 400 yards, securing Hill 408. Despite fierce enemy defense, incremental gains were made against Palmona and La Villa. By late afternoon, Company B had captured Hill 423, but an enemy counterattack at 6:30 PM caused heavy losses for Company C, which held its ground.

On October 9, 1944, Johnnie wrote a V-mail to Lucile, conveying a heartfelt sentiment: ‘You and you alone is what I want to see again.’ Perhaps, in that quiet moment from his hospital bed, he wondered if fate would grant his wish.

My Dear Darling,

Well, how is this finding you tonight? I hope well and alright. As for myself, I am OK. How is your job by now, since cold weather is almost there? I hope it isn’t as bad on you as the summer months was. Gee honey, all I look forward to now is getting back to you and taking care of you and I pray to God every night to help me get back to you. You and you alone is what I want to see again. You are all I have and only God knows what would happen to me if anything should harm you or take you from me. Gee what a day it will be when peace is in the world once more. I pray that it isn’t very far off. Well honey, I will have to close. Tell all the family I said hello and give them my love. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Johnnie and Lucile

Despite limited progress since the 6 AM attack, Companies B and C of the 338th Infantry achieved significant gains overnight. By 4 AM on October 10, they captured Hill 452 and La Villa. Recognizing the enemy’s vulnerability on the left flank, plans were devised to engage the 2nd Battalion in a night maneuver, aligning it with the rest of the regiment. Unfortunately, the mud rendered close armor support ineffective. Company A’s aggressive push ahead of the 1st Battalion resulted in the capture of Hill 528. During interrogation, surprised German defenders revealed a V-shaped defense centered around Monterenzio, with Hill 528 at its apex. The strongpoint was subsequently relocated to Scaruglio, now that Hill 528 was under our control. Intelligence reports indicated at least 150 enemy troops in the vicinity, prompting Company C to plan an encircling maneuver to neutralize the Palmona strongpoint.

Under the cover of darkness, the 2nd Battalion stealthily advanced past enemy positions on Mount Formiche, capturing Hill 349 and taking prisoners by 9:40 AM. Simultaneously, the 1st Battalion secured Hills 423 and 424, while the 1st Battalion of the 338th Infantry faced heavy shelling but still managed to take Hills 428. The 3rd Battalion patrols approached within 100 yards of Zello before a slight enemy withdrawal. Throughout the day, aggressive small unit actions continued, culminating in Company B holding Hill 409 by 6:30 PM. Despite heavy losses, progress persisted, and by midnight, the left two battalions reached the Ridge 362-449. At dawn, the 1st Battalion, 338th Infantry engaged in fierce firefights, wiping out resistance and securing Hill 520.

On October 10, 1944, amidst these events, Johnnie found himself in a different hospital, his emotions running high. Tragically, during his transfer from one medical facility to another, he lost family photographs that held immense sentimental value. In a V-mail written that day, he confided this heartbreaking news to Lucile.

My Dear Darling,

Just to let you know I am alright and hope with all my heart that this finds you the same. Honey, you know all the pictures I had of you and all the rest of the family? Well, the hospital I was at before I came to this one is where I left them. I put them under my pillow when I arrived there and when they transferred me to the hospital that I am at at the present, I thought I had all my stuff with me but as I later found out, I had left the pictures. I wrote to the hospital to see if they could recover them for me. I hate to think that they are lost from me. They are all I had of you and the family. Of you all being near to me. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

The attack resumed at 7 AM on October 11, 1944. Despite heavy shelling from mortar and artillery, the 3rd Battalion captured 50 prisoners in the Zello area. Company B secured Hill 572. Throughout the day, enemy harassment continued with mortar, artillery, and machine gun fire. To prepare for the assault on Monterenzio, the 2nd Battalion assembled on Ridge 409-528 after being relieved by the 1st Battalion, 338th Infantry. This critical maneuver allowed the 1st Battalion to consolidate its position and eliminate remaining resistance on Hills 520, 362, and 449.

Under the cover of darkness on October 12, 1944, Company B advanced toward Hill 578, narrowly missing their target—the church. Simultaneously, machine guns erupted from bunkers, compelling a 300-yard retreat. Meanwhile, Company I captured Hill 418, and Company L pushed forward, attacking the draws left of Hill 418. Despite their progress, the 3rd Battalion faced unyielding fire from the right flank. Company I later neutralized the bunkers near Hill 356, while intelligence revealed that the enemy still held strategic positions on Hills 378, 392, and 461. Word arrived that the 339th Infantry would relieve the 337th Infantry during the night of October 13–14, necessitating preparations for this crucial passage of lines.

In the afternoon, tanks positioned themselves strategically to fire directly at Hill 578. Simultaneously, efforts were made to dislodge the enemy from the exposed elevation. Meanwhile, 20 soldiers from Company A sought refuge in a nearby church, but it became a trap due to relentless machine gun and mortar fire. Hindered by intense enemy fire, Company A could not advance or assist comrades. Across the battlefield, the 3rd Battalion aimed to secure the high ground near Poggioli (Hill 554). Under cover of darkness, Company I advanced undetected. At 10:15 PM, the 1st Battalion resumed operations against Monterenzio. Company B attacked northwestward to seize Hills 471 and 468. Meanwhile, Company A flanked Hill 578 from the right. Around midnight, Company A faced fierce resistance, prompting Company C to execute a wide flanking movement and assume their critical mission.


Monterenzio is located approximately 12 miles from Bologna (within the red circle). Gothic Line,
The History Department of the United States Military Academy, public domain, via Wikimedia Commons.

In his letter to Lucile dated October 12, 1944, Johnnie expressed his concern about not receiving her letters. Given that he was in the hospital at the time, he wrote to her using American Red Cross stationery.

My Dear Darling, 

Just a few lines to let you know I am thinking of you and hope and pray that this finds you well and alright. I haven’t heard from you in a good while now. The reason is all the mail I have back at my outfit. I guess is this, they haven’t forwarded it to me here at the hospital as yet. I don’t know whether I will get any of it or not. If you are still writing me pretty regular, I shall have stacks of mail from you personally. How is the home front coming aong? What about little Nell? Is she coming along alright? Has she been hearing from Robert pretty regular? I wrote Dot and Drexter the other day, also Mom Stacks and Doc. O say, if Mickey has left for the Army, I guess I will have to write Gearl and tell him to keep a look out on you for me and to take care of you for me till I get back. Have you ever heard from Louise or any of my sisters yet? I haven’t. I have a good family, don’t I? Can’t even hear from them once in a while. At least Dad and his wife write me pretty often. Have you seen them lately? The last letter I received from them, they were talking about going down to Jacksonville, Fla. for a few days. I guess you will have to start sending me some pictures of you again, just in case I don’t get the others back. It really burns me up to go off and leave those pictures like I did. I surely hope and pray I get them back. You know the other day I got to thinking about all the crowds we used to run around with and was wondering where they all got to be now. Have you ever thought about that? Well, I guess I will close for this time. Tell all hello for me and to write. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

 

No comments:

Post a Comment