Thursday, February 2, 2023

February 17, 18, and 19, 1943

The possibility of Lucile visiting Johnnie appears to be getting closer, but he wants to make sure he has enough time to get a place for her to stay while she’s in Texas. In his February 17, 1943 letter from Camp Howze, he asks that they exchange letters before she comes.

My Dear Darling Baby,

I hope this letter finds you well and rid of your sore throat. Did you receive that copy to show that your monthly checks have started? I guess you did. I sent it by airmail, and I told you to answer me back by airmail. I should have received an answer from you by now, but I haven’t. I also sent you three dollars to get some medicine. But after I sent off the money for you to get the medicine with, I received a letter from you saying that you had been to town to get you some medicine. So, go ahead and use the money for something you need. Honey what about when you get your money come down here and stay about two weeks. But before you come, be sure and write me so I can get you a place to stay and also wait till I write you back telling you that I have a place for you to stay before you come. I received a card today telling me that your allotment has been received and that you should get your money at the end of this month. I am sending you this card for you to read but be sure to send it back to me in your next letter. Well honey, I guess that is all the news for this time. So, answer back by airmail.

Lots x lots x lots love x love x love, Johnnie

P.S. Honey I am sorry I have not sent you any pictures but if you saw how short my hair was, I guess you wouldn’t want any. I had all my hair cut because it had two or three different colors. It is growing back a lot darker then it was. I guess it will be a month or two before it grows back like it was. So be good till I see you. 

Lots of love Johnnie

Johnnie wanted a constant stream of letters coming in and in an earlier letter had asked Lucile to answer by airmail. She apparently didn’t do that and so in his February 18, 1943 letter sent from Camp Howze, he scolded her for not doing so. 

My Dear Baby,

I received your nice sweet little letter tonight and was glad to hear from you. But one thing you didn’t do and that was send me the letter back by airmail. I will not get mad at you this time, but please, when I write you, and tell you to answer me back by airmail, please do. Well I am finished with the range today and boy am I glad because I believe I have lost at least two nights sleep and I am really tired out. Honey, are you sure I asked you what you got with the money I sent you? I believe you are wrong about that. If I am not mistaken, I wrote you and told you to get anything you wanted to with that money, didn’t I? I know what I sent you wouldn’t do you much good, but it did help you, didn’t it? Yes, I get what you mean when you said you got up sick, and I know it is going pretty bad with such a cold you got. Write and let me know how you come out, will you? Honey, I don’t know what I am going to do if I don’t see you soon. I hope it won’t be long from now. I am going to start counting the days till I see you. So honey, be good till then. 

Lots # lots love x x x x x, Johnnie

P.S. You still love me?


Partial view of February 18, 1943 letter

Johnnie sent the first of many V-mail letters to Lucile on February 19, 1943 from Camp Howze. Victory Mail, or V-mail, was a process used by the United States military during World War II to ship huge quantities of mail to and from soldiers overseas. Letters were written on standard sized paper, photographed, and then transferred to microfilm for shipping. Once the microfilm made it to its destination, the letters were printed and cut to a 4 ¼ x 5 ¼ inch piece of paper. This freed up space and weight for other cargo needed for the war.

From: Co B 337 Infantry, A.P.O. #85, New York, NY

To: Mrs. J. H. Marston, College Park, Ga., Route #1

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and OK, and hope this finds you the same. I received a letter from you yesterday with the stamps and those other stamps, showing that the letter is air mail. Thanks alots. You asked me in one of your letters I received if they censor the mail you sent me. No, they don’t. I am sure of that. You say Robert thinks he is going to be shipped somewhere. Tell him I wish him luck. Well, I guess this is all for this time. Will write longer letter as soon as possible.

So, lots lots lots love, Johnnie


February 19, 1943 v-mail, first of many (click to enlarge)

The “V Mail BB 60 Display” graphic below, published by the Bureau of Navy Personnel, describes the process for sending a V-mail.


How v-mail works (click to enlarge)

Click here to learn more about v-mail. 

It should be noted that all the V-mails sent by Johnnie were sent from the same address to the same address so won’t be noted further.

No comments:

Post a Comment