Thursday, February 23, 2023

February 24 and 26, 1943

Johnnie sounded like he was getting weary of training in his February 24, 1943 letter from Camp Howze. Or maybe it was his sore foot that was causing the problem.

My Dear Darling Wife,

Well here it is another day almost gone and making my training that much nearer over with. I didn’t go out with the rest of the boys this morning because I had to go see the doctor again about my foot. I have just got back, and it is just a little after eleven o’clock. I am going out with the rest this afternoon but being as I have to wait for them to come in for dinner, I thought I would drop you a line or two. Please excuse this writing because I am laying on my bed writing you. I am kindly resting my foot. What have you been doing all morning, laying in bed, Ha Ha. Say, you’ve been getting a pretty good bit of letters from me lately haven’t you? You should be. I’ve been writing you at least one or two a day. Say you know just four more days and this month will be over with, then I will just have four more weeks for my basic training. Say let me know if you get your money this month. I am sure you will. O yeah, I told you to mail me that card I sent in that letter back and I haven’t received it yet. You did get it, didn’t you? It might be in the evening mail. I hope so. I shall get a letter from you today. I didn’t get none yesterday. You are writing me every day, aren’t you? You better be, Ha Ha. How is the weather down there now? Is it turning any warmer? It is pretty fair here now. The wind is pretty strong, but it is getting close to March, and you know that is a windy month. Well honey I guess this is all the news for this time. So be as sweet as you have always been.

Lots lots lots love + kisses x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x, Johnnie

P.S. You still Love me? If so what about a little sugar, Ha Ha

Love, Johnnie


Someone was trying to call Johnnie at camp but due to his training schedule, he wasn’t available when they called. Johnnie tried to explain that to Lucile in his February 26, 1943 letter from Camp Howze.

My Dear Darling Wife,

Well, I received your letter yesterday but didn’t have time to answer it till now. I also received the card with it. Thanks for sending it back. I will take care of all the papers I got about your money. Honey forget the argument about the money I sent you last month. That’s in the past now. I will send you the two dollars to finish paying on my watch so don’t take any of your money. Be sure and pay your Daddy as soon as you get your money. It’s OK about not writing me back by airmail, but don’t let it happen again, Ha, Ha, Ha. Honey today is Saturday. I started this letter yesterday but didn’t have time to finish it till now. We left on a hike yesterday evening about four o’clock and didn’t get in till about eleven o’clock. When I did get in the sargent told me I had a call from Atlanta, Ga. and for me to call back and ask for operator forty-four. Well I tried to get the call through last night, but I couldn’t do any good. So, I was going to let it go till I got a chance to call today. But before I had a chance to, they called me in the camp. Call operator forty-four so I’ve been trying to get the call through all day. But the long-distance operator said she couldn’t get no line through to operator forty-four. Honey, the call has got me worried pretty bad, so let me know where ever it is sevirty [sic] or not. I wish you would send me a telegram when you want to let me know something really quick because it is hard for me to get to talk to you over the phone here in camp. Well I guess that is all the news for this time. So, answer this back by airmail.

Lots lots love, Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment