Thursday, February 16, 2023

February 22 and 23, 1943

Monday night, February 22, 1943 at Camp Howze, Texas, Johnnie was probably enjoying a good smoke on the new pipe Lucile sent him. 

My Dear Darling,

Well here it is the start of another week and what I like about it is I am that much nearer to finishing my basic training and so nearer to seeing you. I hope this letter finds you well. It leaves me feeling pretty well as far as health is concerned. O yeah, I received the pipe today and it sure is a dandy. Thanks a lot. I also received a nice birthday card from your Mother. I am going to write her tonight and thank her for it. Honey guess who I received a letter from tonight. From your Mother’s sister, Aunt Agnes Jones. I wrote you telling you about me receiving a letter from Marie, didn’t I? I have answered her letter. I am going to answer Aunt Agnes’ letter tonight if I get time. Well honey, since I have so many letters to answer I will close. So, answer write back. 

Lots Lots Love, Johnnie


A photo from December 1963 of Johnnie enjoying a cigar

It was February 23, 1943, Johnnie’s birthday, when he wrote Lucile a letter as he waited on a testing exercise to take place at Camp Howze, Texas. 

Dear Darling,

Well here it is my birthday and I don’t feel a day older than I was yesterday, Ha Ha. I hope this little letter finds you well. It leaves me OK. Darling what have you been doing lately? I hope you have been enjoying yourself, have you? Gosh when you get in your twenties, time sure does go doesn’t it. It seems like just a month ago I was just twenty. Darling you are twenty-one now, aren’t you? Say, have you had many dates since I’ve been gone, Ha Ha? I bet you have. Say, you know what I would like to have now? A great big sugar tet with a little of this and that, Ha Ha. You get what I mean don’t you? Say, you are coming out when you get your money aren’t you? You better. Say I dreamed about you again last night. I had to send my sheet and blanket to the laundry this morning. If I keep on dreaming dreams like that, I am sure going to have a big laundry bill at the end of this month, Ha Ha. Are you going to help me pay for it, Ha Ha? We are having testing today on things we have studied. I have been out all this morning on different things. I am waiting now for them to call me out this afternoon to finish up. It won’t be long from now, so I better close for this time. So be good and keep thinking of me. Love Lots Love.

Kisses xxxxxxxx, Johnnie

P.S. You still love me? I love you my Darling.

Johnnie spent the evening of February 23, 1943 at Camp Howze thinking about Lucile. He ended his birthday smoking from his new pipe and writing her a second letter.

My Dear Darling Wife,

Well here it is Tuesday nite and I was sitting here smoking my new pipe and thinking of something to do. Well being I didn’t have no studying to do, I thought of nothing to do better than to write you. I wrote you today at dinner, but that don’t mean nothing. If a fellow loves his wife or girl, like I love you, he’ll be writing every chance he gets. And that’s one thing I try to do. Honey what are you doing tonight? I guess you are in bed by this time, aren’t you? O yeah, Mother said in her letter that she was going to write you. Have you heard from her yet? I haven’t got my watch back yet. Every time I go to get it, the man that’s fixing it is sick, and he is not there. Gosh I believe he is sick pretty bad because I sent the watch three weeks ago and he doesn’t seem to be getting any better. I sure will be glad when he gets well enough to fix it. I wrote your Mother also at dinner. I guess she will receive it the same day that you receive yours. Have you noticed lately I have been sending all of my letters to you airmail? I am always as long I can get them. I was telling you at dinner that we were taking testing today, well I passed it OK. It had me worried for awhile though. Honey, Mother wrote me in her letter that she wanted me to have some pictures made and send to her. Well I wrote her back and told her that as soon as I got all of my hair back, I would have some made and send to her, Ha Ha. And that goes to you also, Ha Ha. Well honey I guess that is all the news for this time so Lots and Lots Lots Love # Kisses xxxxxxxxxxx, Johnnie

P.S. You still Love me? Darling I worship you. Love, Johnnie 

In addition to writing Lucile two letters on February 23, 1943, he also wrote her mother. 

Dear Mother,

I received the nice birthday card and I appreciate it very much. Thanks a lot. I hope this letter finds you well. It leaves me OK. I don’t feel like I am any older than I was yesterday, Ha Ha. How are all the kids? I hope they are all well. Tell them all hello for me. How is Doc getting along? Is he still growing younger? Tell him I said to watch his self and not get too young or they might take him in the army, Ha Ha. Also tell him hello. What have you been doing lately? I guess you’ve been pretty busy. You always were when I was home. How is the weather down there now? It is like summer here and boy I sure do like it. Well, I guess that is all the news for this time. So, lots of love to you and all.

Johnnie

P.S. Thanks again for such a nice card. Love Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment