Thursday, February 9, 2023

February 20 and 21, 1943

In his February 20, 1943 letter from Camp Howze, Texas, Johnnie was concerned that if they promoted him to corporal, he would be shipped overseas sooner than he was ready to go. He knew once he shipped out, he would not be able to see Lucile. 

Johnnie didn’t mention the military parade he had participated in earlier in the day when the 84th “passed in review before high ranking officers of Camp Howze … in the largest mass demonstration by a military unit since the camp was established.” Gen. Nelson M. Walker, the assistant commander of the division “declared that the division had made a distinguished record on the rifle range, considering the short period of time since training began.” The Denton Record-Chronicle reported that it “required 32 minutes for the entire division to march past the stand.” As a rifleman, Gen. Walker’s declaration would have been a proud achievement for Johnnie and his fellow soldiers. 

Johnnie wrote a second letter that night but didn’t mail either so before putting Lucile’s letter in the mail on February 21, he added to it. As usual, he was worried about her.

My Dear Darling,

I hope this letter finds you well by now. I have really worried alot about you. I have really worried about you ever since that night, you remember. I had tears I believe about the first time in a long time. It really gets me all over when you are not well. Honey, I don’t think I want to make a corporal after all, because if I do I will get shipped somewhere and from what I can gather here around camp, they are sending all the fellows that make corporal or sargent across to train the boys there and I don’t believe I want to go just yet. Not that I am scared, but I want to see you as much as I can. My commanding officer said we would all be made corporal or sergeant and be shipped out to train other boys that come in. So, I am sure to be one whether I want to or not. Honey, I guess I told you already about me having my hair cut off real short. You remember how my hair was either red at times or light brown? That was because the sun burned it. Well, it is coming back black as it used to be, and it is kindly wavy coming out. I was hoping it would come back straight where I could comb it straight back, but I guess I will have to let it grow wild, Ha Ha. Honey, I received a letter from Kate tonight. She is getting along fine. So, if you don’t mind for this time, I will close so I can answer her letter before the lights go out.

So, lots of love and kisses x x x x x x, Johnnie

Honey, I didn’t mail this letter last night so I will write a little more this morning. I hope you had a good nites rest. I slept pretty well myself and of course I dreamed about you, and it wasn’t a bad dream after all. I enjoyed every bit of it, Ha Ha. Well this ends another week of my basic training. I have just four more weeks to go and it will all be over with and then I don’t know where I will go. My foot has gone bad on me again. I am going to see about it tomorrow at the clinic. I am going every day till they do something about it. The soldier that sleeps across from me has a radio and it is on now. The Ink Spots are singing now, and the song is “If I Didn’t Care.” It really gives me the blues. It makes me think of the times when I was with you and the good times we had together. Some of my pals that I go around with say I have changed a lot since I have been in the army. I might have changed alot in ways, but I will never change as far as my love is for you, and you know that. Honey, don’t send me anything for my birthday because you need the money. I know that you haven’t forgotten that day for me, so thanks alots. I will be twenty-three, gee I am getting old fast aren’t I, Ha Ha. Well, tell all hello for me and that I wish them the best of health and a long life and give all my love to all also.

So, lots lots love to you x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x, Johnnie

P.S., How many letters have you received from me so far? Let me know. Love Johnnie

Click here to hear the song “If I Didn’t Care” by the Ink Spots.


Johnnie and Lucile

The evening of February 21, 1943, Johnnie sat down and wrote a second letter to Lucile. A 1941 song by The Ink Spots had him thinking about his dear wife.

My Dear Wife,

I received your sweet birthday card for me, and thanks alots. I haven’t received the pipe yet, but I expect to get it tomorrow. Also, thanks for the pipe. I have been trying to get one here in camp, but they are such a high price I just didn’t want one that bad. I also received a nice blessing card from Marie, Joe and Betty Kuebu today. I am going to write them and tell them how much I appreciate the card. They say that Hildreth has been transferred to Nebraska. Boy he really gets shipped alots doesn’t he? He does not stay in one place long enough to get settled good. Marie said something about you coming up there and staying with them awhile. I am leaving that up to you, wherever you want to go or not, you can decide on that yourself. I would appreciate it very much if you would come out here first and see me. Honey, you will get your money this month. I am sure of that. If you don’t, I will do something about it. Say, why haven’t the rest of the folks wrote me. Remind them of it will you? This makes two letters I wrote you today, so you see, you are on my mind at all times. I can’t hardly wait to see you again. I hope it won’t be very long now. Honey, the radio is playing now, and the song is “I don’t want to set the world on fire.” That’s me. I just want to keep that flame you got in your heart for me always there. What about it, will it stay there? I hope so. Well honey, I guess that is all the news for this time so answer it right back.

Lots lots lots love love love xxxxxxxxxx, Johnnie

P.S. You still love me? Johnnie

 Click here to hear the song “I Don’t Want to Set the World on Fire” by the Ink Spots.


Part of February 21, 1943 letter

Before Johnnie went to bed the night of February 21, 1943, he wrote a third letter to Lucile. He reminisced, talked about his dinner, another soldier, and asked about family members, including Mickey, better known as Earl Stacks, Lucile’s brother.

My Dear Darling Wife,

Well here I go writing another letter to you and this one makes three I wrote you today. I haven’t got anywhere to go or nothing to do so what better to do than write you? You are all I am thinking about any how. Say honey, what you are doing today? I hope you are enjoying yourself. I sure as hell aren’t. When I haven’t got nothing to do, I just lay around and think about you and wonder what you are doing and the times we did have together and never realized it. We have had some good times together, haven’t we? You remember the time you met me out at the fair and how late we came in? And do you remember we parked across over there on Welcommed and I started making love to you and you almost slapped my face and you wanted me to make love to you anyway and I knew it all the time, Ha Ha Ha. Those was the days, wasn’t it? Honey, I am going up to the mess hall and eat and I will write some more when I get back. Well honey, I just finished eating and we had a pretty good supper. We had ham, potatoes, tomatoes, and butter and sweet milk and banana pudding for dessert. I enjoyed ever bit of it. I guess you had a good dinner today, didn’t you? Honey, one more week and I will get paid again and I am sure you will get yours this time. Let me know about it, you will?

Honey, how is Gearl’s hand getting along? Fine, I hope. It shall be well by now, is it? How is little Melvin getting along? I bet he has grown alots hasn’t he? I sure would like to see the little fellow. Why hasn’t Dot and Drextel wrote me lately? I would like to know how the baby is coming along anyway. Honey, you know that boy that wrote that letter for me? Well he is getting a discharge. You know who I am talking about, don’t you? His name is James McDonald. He was burned pretty bad when he was a baby all around the stomach and down to his knees. It sure is a pretty bad burn. The skin is pretty thin, and it has burst a lot since he has been in the Army and it sure does bleed too. He does not do a thing but lay around the barrack. Boy is he lucky. Say, we are having some good weather down here. It’s just like Florida. I guess it is pretty cold there, isn’t it? Isn’t Robert riding in his car much now? I haven’t heard you mention Nell to him in a good while. What’s the matter? Say, Mickey hasn’t wrote me lately either. Is he still working at the saw mill? Write me and let me know, will you?

 Well honey, I guess I will close for this time. I believe I wrote you enough today. I have wrote you three letters. I believe that is a record for one day, don’t you?

Love Love Love as you know always, Johnnie

P.S. You still love me? I love you. 


End of February 21, 1943 letter

No comments:

Post a Comment